STOP Sonia becoming PM - Petition

san_1 said:
Indian people gave their verdict, true. It is good to see that there were not 50%(or even close to that) of them asking for Sonia to become PM.
Lot of people thankfully do not think that the petition or something equivalent was a joke. Otherwise Sonia would have been a PM today which would have been a shame( probably for some it would be pride?, don't care?).
Also the reason behind no such consititutional amendment baring such a case was this was not envisoned by our writers of constitution.
Otherwise there is no such bar on ex-foreign national with even one year of citizen ship standing for PM. Does that person make it acceptable to majority? Again thankfully no ( No guarantee though!).
Is there a need for constitution to be amended? YES..

If the” horse that finishes last, wins the race” is the rule of the day, then the last horse gets the money. Period. No whining after that. No 40%, 50% after the race.

Apart…Regional issues, rather than the foreign origin issue largely influenced the poll results. If you don’t think so.. get some more in depth statistics, rather than this 40%, 50%. hey.. the poor electorate already has a lot over it’s head and has no space for additional load as most of us do. This additional space makes me think of the foreign origin issue as I drive my luxury car.

“Also the reason behind no such consititutional amendment baring such a case was this was not envisoned by our writers of constitution”. I am sure you forgot to put a smiley at the end of this statement. But don’t worry. I was LOL.

myday said:
If the” horse that finishes last, wins the race” is the rule of the day, then the last horse gets the money. Period. No whining after that. No 40%, 50% after the race.
True, but doesn't really concern the issue at hand. There were no clearly laid out rules. In fact the current partners like communist party and congress fought against each other in West Bengal and other places.

myday said:
Apart…Regional issues, rather than the foreign origin issue largely influenced the poll results. If you don’t think so.. get some more in depth statistics, rather than this 40%, 50%. hey.. the poor electorate already has a lot over it’s head and has no space for additional load as most of us do. This additional space makes me think of the foreign origin issue as I drive my luxury car.
Well, this is largely true. Also the fact that Sonia had never said she will become PM before this. During last elections she had said she is not after power etc etc..
Her becoming PM had been kind of there in the back of everyones mind I think but at no time Congress cleared this issue. Who would be PM was left open. This also helped to subdue the issue of foreign origin to some extent.
So people who say she got mandate are sadly mistaken.

san_1 said:
Indian people gave their verdict, true. It is good to see that there were not 50%(or even close to that) of them asking for Sonia to become PM.

For your information, after 1984 election no single party or pre-poll alliance got absolute majority. Still Indian democracy is doing pretty good. I am not sure if you are complaining about Indian parliamentary system + constitution OR Sonia + Congress.

P.S.
Probably you would like democracy like Pakistan where no "true" politican party gets majority and then a pseudo-party pushed by military gets majority with rigged election. Still majority and doing "well" (more than 50%). How about that?

pralay said:
For your information, after 1984 election no single party or pre-poll alliance got absolute majority. Still Indian democracy is doing pretty good. I am not sure if you are complaining about Indian parliamentary system + constitution OR Sonia + Congress.
Complaining just Sonia becoming PM. If you read my previous posts, I think it is pretty obvious.
I really value Indian democracy.

pralay said:
P.S.
Probably you would like democracy like Pakistan where no "true" politican party gets majority and then a pseudo-party pushed by military gets majority with rigged election. Still majority and doing "well" (more than 50%). How about that?
Since you ask, I would rather India has presidential system and whole country votes for a person leading the party. That would be best for India I think and eliminate lot of subservient behaviour which happened and eliminate confusions.

san_1 said:
.Well, this is largely true. Also the fact that Sonia had never said she will become PM before this. During last elections she had said she is not after power etc etc..
Her becoming PM had been kind of there in the back of everyones mind I think but at no time Congress cleared this issue. Who would be PM was left open. This also helped to subdue the issue of foreign origin to some extent.
So people who say she got mandate are sadly mistaken.

Well, that's the way British perliamentary system was deviced, right? And we copied from British, right? Group (party) is elected (or "selected" if there is no majority) first and leader (PM) is selected (not elected) later.

pralay said:
Well, that's the way British perliamentary system was deviced, right? And we copied from British, right? Group (party) is elected (or "selected" if there is no majority) first and leader (PM) is selected (not elected) later.

I don't think anyone here is saying that the issue was whether she could have become PM constitutionally or not.
People did not feel comfortable with her becoming PM due to her origin and related acts and wanted to stop that.
If you feel sorry for her or are her ardent fan, say it instead of saying it is not important(in your previous post) and trying to brush the main issue aside.
In any case, you can also look at the opposition to her becoming PM as an effort to get someone else from the majority party elected.