Steps in CP after I-140 and current job

imqwer

Registered Users (C)
Dear CP Gurus,
I need your help in resolving some confusions. My I-140 was filed in Sept 2003. I have not received any news about it.
1. I keep checking the status from the USCIS web site. Is it reliable at all. I have an experience with this web site. My H1 was approved for extension last year but it still shows me the same message that I saw on day 1 as ' your case was received on this date and you will be mailed the response'.

2. Immigration.com and Murthy show that Nebraska center is processing March 2003 cases. Does this mean that my case will be heard after 6 months once they have cleared all the cases from March - Aug 2003?

3. What happens after I-140 with CP option is approved? Would I get some intimation or my lawyer? What will happen after that? I understand that there is then a NVC stage. Would my case reach there automatically from INS/USCIS or do we have to submit something? when does the packets P3 or P4 arrive and what are they anyway? Would I get them at my home country address or here in US?

4. Suppose I go back to my contry during my I-140 stage and start living there. My company says that they will not cancel I-140 and provide me any help whatsoever in the green card processing. So, would it make any difference if I go back and do not remain employed by my company which is sponsoring GC for me. I think that GC is for future job, so if I am not employed at that company and living in my own country, it should not affect my CASE. Am I right?

1. I keep checking the status from the USCIS web site. Is it reliable at all.
Answer: Well at a high level it is a reliable site. There are a few cases where updates have not shown up. You may want to call the BCIS 800 number!

2. Immigration.com and Murthy show that Nebraska center is processing March 2003 cases. Does this mean that my case will be heard after 6 months once they have cleared all the cases from March - Aug 2003?
Answer: This means it will take a MINIMUM of 6 months assuming the I-140 backlog moves one is to one and that you have no RFE's. Expect I-140 approval in about 7-8 months after I -140 application.

3. What happens after I-140 with CP option is approved? Would I get some intimation or my lawyer? What will happen after that? I understand that there is then a NVC stage. Would my case reach there automatically from INS/USCIS or do we have to submit something? when does the packets P3 or P4 arrive and what are they anyway? Would I get them at my home country address or here in US?
Answer:
*Check www.cptracker.com for sub steps & timelines of CP after I-140 approval!
* If you have opted for CP in I-140 application then your case will automatically be transferred to nvc.
* P3 will be issued in about 3 months after case reaches nvc and after your payment of $335 per candidate for cp processing.
* P4 will arrive only after your case has been accepted at the consulate and once the interview date has been confirmed which is about 6-9 months after nvc receives the case.
* By default P4 will come to your address in usa but once it is issued you can request it to be send ot your address in home country or someone from your family/ friends can pick it up from the consulate.

4. Suppose I go back to my contry during my I-140 stage and start living there. My company says that they will not cancel I-140 and provide me any help whatsoever in the green card processing. So, would it make any difference if I go back and do not remain employed by my company which is sponsoring GC for me. I think that GC is for future job, so if I am not employed at that company and living in my own country, it should not affect my CASE. Am I right?
Answer: As long as your company does not revoke the I-140 and you get employed at the salary mentioned in the LC and for the job role defined in your LC...you should be fine. But a word of caution...if you decide to go back to your home country and if your employer decides to revoke I-140 there is nothing much you would be able to do.