status

asiancupid

Registered Users (C)
green card pending RD 9/11/2001. I am married to a citizen now.

Is it possible to go back to my home country and come back without any trouble?

All input will be appreciated.

If you are an asylee and still waiting for your GC, you CANNOT go back, period! You will have to adjust your status first and have your GC in your hand (or equivalent) before you go.
Now, if your GC pending is based on your wife sponsoring your adjustment, I would recommend for you to wait until you have either a GC or some kind of paper that confirms your approval. Be carefull what kind of decision you make.

Of course this is not a legal advise. Maybe somebody has better input, but this is just my few cents ...

If you are an asylee already, it is because you claimed fear of persecution. So, how come you could be planning on going back there? It is a non sense, specially if you applying for PR based on your asylee status. So, the answer is most likely you will have problems when coming back.
Being married to a US citizen, doesn't make any difference. I believe you first get a conditional PR card that has to be revalidated 2 or 3 years later for the permanent one.
Logical thinking for USCIS will be: this person filed for asylum and goes back, that's suspicious. Then, marries a US citizen maybe looking for another way to get the GC, isn't that suspicious? I would be amazed if USCIS doesn't investigate throughly if this situation happens.
As far as I know, nobody in this forum is a lawyer or a person authorized to advise on legal matters. All the opinions you might get from here (including mine) are based on what we have experienced (directly or indirectly) and on using common sense; so please take them as that. The best thing for you would be to check with a competent attorney. I would double check with another one if you are advised to go back there without problem. Hope this helps.
Good luck

Originally posted by asiancupid
green card pending RD 9/11/2001. I am married to a citizen now.

Is it possible to go back to my home country and come back without any trouble?

All input will be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
asiancupid, I am in the same situation as you ,I am an asylee and married to the US citizen. I wanted to go home to visit but the reality is I can't do it because I am still afraid of my life if I go back home.
Listen , Are you still in the asylee status or changed to the marriage one?
depending on that I will answer your further questions.

Re: Re: status

I completely concur.

Originally posted by alanpero2
If you are an asylee already, it is because you claimed fear of persecution. So, how come you could be planning on going back there? It is a non sense, specially if you applying for PR based on your asylee status. So, the answer is most likely you will have problems when coming back.
Being married to a US citizen, doesn't make any difference. I believe you first get a conditional PR card that has to be revalidated 2 or 3 years later for the permanent one.
Logical thinking for USCIS will be: this person filed for asylum and goes back, that's suspicious. Then, marries a US citizen maybe looking for another way to get the GC, isn't that suspicious? I would be amazed if USCIS doesn't investigate throughly if this situation happens.
As far as I know, nobody in this forum is a lawyer or a person authorized to advise on legal matters. All the opinions you might get from here (including mine) are based on what we have experienced (directly or indirectly) and on using common sense; so please take them as that. The best thing for you would be to check with a competent attorney. I would double check with another one if you are advised to go back there without problem. Hope this helps.
Good luck