Status of "Extended Review"

haplabor

Registered Users (C)
Just got off phone from Congressman's office. In response to his congressional inquiry to NSC, the response received
"The case is going through completion of extended security review. The processing of this case cannot continue until the security checks are completed".

The only positive i see is the word "Completion". Does this still make a case for WOM to move the processing forward.

Any advise is much appreciated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I-485 pending since April, 2005!!!!!!!

Did you say "extended security review"?
My friend I think this is just business as usual at NSC. Can you please share if you had learned before the memo that you case was pending FBI Name check and this "extended security review" is something new that you started hearing now.

I have been told couple things in the course of I485 application: "internal security checks", "pre-adjudication-under review", "security checks" latest is "extended review" and "unresolved issues". I did go through congressman's office.

Just got off phone from Congressman's office. In response to his congressional inquiry to NSC, the response received
"The case is going through completion of extended security review. The processing of this case cannot continue until the security checks are completed".

The only positive i see is the word "Completion". Does this still make a case for WOM to move the processing forward.

Any advise is much appreciated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I-485 pending since April, 2005!!!!!!!

Did you say "extended security review"?
My friend I think this is just business as usual at NSC. Can you please share if you had learned before the memo that you case was pending FBI Name check and this "extended security review" is something new that you started hearing now.

I have been told couple things in the course of I485 application: "internal security checks", "pre-adjudication-under review", "security checks" latest is "extended review" and "unresolved issues". I did go through congressman's office.
Jefkorn,
I have the similar situation. I was told that it's NC that kept my case away but, once the memo got effective they changed the tune and told it's "Extended Review". Interestingly I saw a LUD on 18th but no message change. Do you have a clue what that might be?I failed to talked to any IO eversince who could look into my case and tell me anything on that.
BTW, I was told "Extended Review" around end November'06 when I had infopass. I just wanted to do that 'cause I had a series of LUD after they received my RFE.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't know what that LUD could mean. It is usually when your file is "touched" by either a computer program during the process or an adjudicating officer performs some action.
If an officer is working on it there could be a LUD, takes a lunch break, come back and "retouches" your file, there could be another LUD but nothing happened yet that warrants a message change, then you won't see a message change but just a LUD. I would be surprised if the IIO(Immig. Info. Officer) will tell you what does extended review mean? but you can certainly try your luck! For all we know it could be a catch all term for a case that going through it's normal processing. There's some info here about extended review:

http://immigrationroad.com/green-card/uscis-security-check.php

Same scenario.

My case is also under "Extended Review" since June 2007 (First time called IIO using POJ and heard of it).

I was not able to get any more info more than "Wait" from my attorney. He submitted AILA inquiry 2 times and no repsonse yet. However, he talked about my case with an IO at Nebraska when he visited Nebraska in November 2007. They sent an email back to him not able to confirm about the timing.

my case is undergoing administrative review. Does any know what that means? It was pending name check for the past two years.

Talked to IIO today

I was able to get hold of an IIO finally this morning after my 03/18 LUD. She was nice and gave time to look into my case. According to her my case has been "with an adjudicator" since 03/17 and then it was "PUT ON HOLD". She could not tell me what put it on hold. She wanted me to let it go for a while and get back in 30 days unless heard. She checked all info including FP2 and said "Looks fine". Amazingly no mention of "Extended Review" that I heard repeatedly between 02/15 - 03/16.
I know I had my hope swing between +ve and -ve for all these days since November'06 whenever I talked to an IIO but this time I am without any expection.
Fellows, do you have any thing to shade on this?
Jef did you call today? if not give a shot.

Even my case is also under Extended Review.When I called them in February they told me that according to name check rule my case is elgible for approval and they are not sure about the time frame.When I called them in second week of March the response was different like it's under extended review.
I just called NSC and heard a weired message like there are no IO's at this point and your call is transefering to USCIS.

EB3 ,India,NSC
Labor PD: Feb 2001
I140 AD :Sep 2005
I485,I131,I765 FD:May 2006
FP :July 2006
AC21:Feb 2007
2nd EAD and AP Renewal Apllied Date:Feb 2007.
3rd EAD and AP approved date:03/2008
I140 LUD :11/04/07
I485 Luds:12/28/2006,12/29/2006,
SR1 Luds :06/28/2007,06/29/2007,06/30/2007.
SR1 Request response(06/19/2007 ):It's in Name check
Senator's Office response(10/22/2007): It's in Name check
Contacted NSC through POJ on 12/19/2007:Still in name check
Sent a letter to Congress man on 11/29/2007:Still in Name check(01/08/2008)
Address Change Lud :01/08/2008
Sent a letter to First lady :Still in Name check(Got response on 02/13/2008)
One more enquiry through Senator's office(02/10/2008):Waiting for response
I485 AD ??????

Fellows, do you have any thing to shade on this?
Jef did you call today? if not give a shot.

I was so frustrated by hearing "External", "Additional", "Internal" reviews....I also got "Administrative Review" from congressman.....but never heard this word from cust service, local office or from Immi officer in NSC.

After few days I requested Ombudsman and after a month requested Senator to check my status. Also my Name check completed after 2.5 years in 2006. But keep on hearing "Review"s.

After three months I have received a letter from USCIS says...."We received request from Ombudsman office reg your concern.....CAO number is... Investigation to your background checks are completed, we are waiting for PD to be current to process the application....until then.....etc" along with Visa Bulletin copies.

After couple days got a letter from Senator says "USCIS is awaiting the results of your background investigation. They unable to predict when it might completed....etc".

So now my PD is current and awaiting.....but still in dilemma which one to believe (Ombudsman or Senator)....hummmmm

My case is also under "Extended Review" since June 2007 (First time called IIO using POJ and heard of it).

I was not able to get any more info more than "Wait" from my attorney. He submitted AILA inquiry 2 times and no repsonse yet. However, he talked about my case with an IO at Nebraska when he visited Nebraska in November 2007. They sent an email back to him not able to confirm about the timing.

What's your Cat my freind EB2 or EB 3??
Will appreciate if can put this information on signature too.

I just called NSC again and got hooked up to a very friendly person.
She said my case is with an officer and she said Officer has lot of files to review. If I didnt hear from NSC in next30- 60 days asked me to contact them again.

I asked her does it mean it's cleared all the necessary checks and the answer is yes.We never know ,we have been hearing different answers.

EB3 ,India,NSC
Labor PD: Feb 2001
I140 AD :Sep 2005
I485,I131,I765 FD:May 2006
FP :July 2006
AC21:Feb 2007
2nd EAD and AP Renewal Apllied Date:Feb 2007.
3rd EAD and AP approved date:03/2008
I140 LUD :11/04/07
I485 Luds:12/28/2006,12/29/2006,
SR1 Luds :06/28/2007,06/29/2007,06/30/2007.
SR1 Request response(06/19/2007 ):It's in Name check
Senator's Office response(10/22/2007): It's in Name check
Contacted NSC through POJ on 12/19/2007:Still in name check
Sent a letter to Congress man on 11/29/2007:Still in Name check(01/08/2008)
Address Change Lud :01/08/2008
Sent a letter to First lady :Still in Name check(Got response on 02/13/2008)
One more enquiry through Senator's office(02/10/2008):Waiting for response
I485 AD ??????

Ok Guys, I received response from CAO for inquire I sent to Ombudsmans office on 03/19. They acknowledge that:
1) I applied for I-485
2) Processing for my case is outside of normal processing
3) My case is pending FBI Name Check.

They assigned a Case # and reminded me that there is a new Name Check policy for which I qualify and that my case seems to be in the queue. If I have any questions I should call the std 1-800 #.

This letter came from DC and not NSC.

Should I get excited about this ???

I think it's good news!!

See here for similar situation. There was a user who got approved within 7 seven days of receiving this letter. I myself had sent an inquiry to Ombudsman's office but haven't heard back after it sent me the acknowledgment letter saying that I should hear within 45 days. It's been more than 60 days?

Did you receive any phone calls from "Immigration" from Washington area code in response to your letter? Some users had reported such phone calls in response to their inquires, not sure how those inquiries were initiated.

http://www.trackitt.com/discussion-forums/i485-1/96622497/last-page/

Ok Guys, I received response from CAO for inquire I sent to Ombudsmans office on 03/19. They acknowledge that:
1) I applied for I-485
2) Processing for my case is outside of normal processing
3) My case is pending FBI Name Check.

They assigned a Case # and reminded me that there is a new Name Check policy for which I qualify and that my case seems to be in the queue. If I have any questions I should call the std 1-800 #.

This letter came from DC and not NSC.

Should I get excited about this ???

I've send the whatever form is required to Ombudsman office on February 23, 2008, received acknowlegment for my dependents, but not for myself (primary); their letters stated that SRs have been initiated, and to wait 45 days (looks like more than that already).
Don't think will do any good... Again, never heard anything concerning my own inquiry from Ombudsman..
EB2(NIW) RoW
I140 04/2003, appr 02/2005
I485 04/2005. MC pending since 05/03/2005
Congressman's inquiry (04/15/08) stated that 180 days rule was not applicable
anymore, should expect some notification after May 2008 based on the Joint effort thing from 04/02/08

I hope it is good news and means something! I did not receive anyphone calls .

I called NSC with the case number assigned by CAO and the rep said that the case number means nothing to her. The case is pre-adjudicated but dont get your hopes too high since there are many cases assigned to each officer.

btw, here is the text of entire letter. anyone else who received this letter, please provide your details:

"Thank you for your Case Problem Submission Worksheet dated February XX, 2008, to the U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services
(USCIS), Ombudsman Office concerning the status of your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust status.
The Ombudsman office forwarded your Case Problem Submission Worksheet to USCIS for a response. We have assigned it case
# xxxxxxxx

We regret the length of time it has taken to process your application. A check of our records reflect that:
1) you have filed Form I-485
2) your application is pending beyond the current USCIS processing time; and
3) your required FBI Name Check has been pending for over a minimum of six months.

Please be advised that there is a new USCIS name check policy for cases that meet the above three criteria. Therefore, your case appears
to be in a group of pending cases that is being redirected to the adjudication queue for processing. If your specific case meets all eligibility
requirements, you will be notified of a decision on the case in the near future

However, you may contact the USCIS National Customer Service Center at 1-800-475-5283 to inquire about your case.

We trust that this information is helpful"

####################
I-140 & I-485 - RD 04/2005
I-140 - AD 06/2005
EB2, PD - 02/2002
Status - FBI Name Check, Extended Review etc. Etc.

That is a common problem

USCIS is prone to this consistency problem and I am suffering with this as well and do not know whom to believe. InfoPass says something, congressman says something else and IO on phone says something else. One says that everything is completed and it is ready to be reviewed by an officer, other says that NC is still pending (though I have letter from FI that they have completed my NC and sent it back to USCIS in Oct 2007)...it is just a total mess....with no consideration for the life of immigrants and how badly they are getting affected.

I was so frustrated by hearing "External", "Additional", "Internal" reviews....I also got "Administrative Review" from congressman.....but never heard this word from cust service, local office or from Immi officer in NSC.

After few days I requested Ombudsman and after a month requested Senator to check my status. Also my Name check completed after 2.5 years in 2006. But keep on hearing "Review"s.

After three months I have received a letter from USCIS says...."We received request from Ombudsman office reg your concern.....CAO number is... Investigation to your background checks are completed, we are waiting for PD to be current to process the application....until then.....etc" along with Visa Bulletin copies.

After couple days got a letter from Senator says "USCIS is awaiting the results of your background investigation. They unable to predict when it might completed....etc".

So now my PD is current and awaiting.....but still in dilemma which one to believe (Ombudsman or Senator)....hummmmm

I agree with you that USCIS is very inconsistent. I browsed several forums and it seems like people got approval following this letter. I am interested in hearing other people's experience who got similar letter. Anyone?

I hope it is good news and means something! I did not receive anyphone calls .

I called NSC with the case number assigned by CAO and the rep said that the case number means nothing to her. The case is pre-adjudicated but dont get your hopes too high since there are many cases assigned to each officer.

btw, here is the text of entire letter. anyone else who received this letter, please provide your details:

"Thank you for your Case Problem Submission Worksheet dated February XX, 2008, to the U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services
(USCIS), Ombudsman Office concerning the status of your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust status.
The Ombudsman office forwarded your Case Problem Submission Worksheet to USCIS for a response. We have assigned it case
# xxxxxxxx

We regret the length of time it has taken to process your application. A check of our records reflect that:
1) you have filed Form I-485
2) your application is pending beyond the current USCIS processing time; and
3) your required FBI Name Check has been pending for over a minimum of six months.

Please be advised that there is a new USCIS name check policy for cases that meet the above three criteria. Therefore, your case appears
to be in a group of pending cases that is being redirected to the adjudication queue for processing. If your specific case meets all eligibility
requirements, you will be notified of a decision on the case in the near future

However, you may contact the USCIS National Customer Service Center at 1-800-475-5283 to inquire about your case.

We trust that this information is helpful"

####################
I-140 & I-485 - RD 04/2005
I-140 - AD 06/2005
EB2, PD - 02/2002
Status - FBI Name Check, Extended Review etc. Etc.

Haplabor,
I don't trust these letters.
Here is why. I received the responses to ombudsman inquires for the whole family yesterday 04/25 (submitted 02/23, stamps on the letters 04/17). Text exactly the same as yours on both mine (primary) and spouse's (derivative). Nowhere it's mentioned that spouse has to wait for the primary decision (shouldn't they pick up on that?) and, my spouse has the same crap about FBI name check pending for more than six mos.Hey, it had been finalized in July 2005!!!(According to FirstLady/FBI letter and previous USCIS info). So, I believe they just use the same template whenever thay see I-485 in the inquiry. Actually, haven't received the response to my child's inquiry yet, but can bet it would be the same

I understand the frustration. Some response is better than NO response. Lets hope for the best!!!!

Other, please post your experience following letter from CAO indicating you qualify under the new memo.