Status Information Letter from SSS

wood123

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am going to apply for citizenship in a couple of months. I got my GC through work.

I came here with an F-1 visa back in 1989 when I was 18.

I am 35 years old now, I asked SSS to give me a Status Information Letter but they are asking me to provide documents showing that I maintained full time status (12 units every semester) from 1989 to 1996, when I became 26.

I don't have documents in my record that's almost 16 years old. They want me to send 16 years old I-20, I-94 etc. I called my university, even they don't have my I-20.

I did send more recent I-20 and other documents to SSS with my request for the letter, but they replied with asking for 16 years old documents.

What am I supposed to do ? Please give me your opinion.

thanks,

I had my us citizenship last month. I was on F1, H1 GC thru employement.
I did not bring anything from sss. Officer asked me about it, I told her, I was on F1, and that was it. I would not worry about it.

wood123 said:
Hi,

I am going to apply for citizenship in a couple of months. I got my GC through work.

I came here with an F-1 visa back in 1989 when I was 18.

I am 35 years old now, I asked SSS to give me a Status Information Letter but they are asking me to provide documents showing that I maintained full time status (12 units every semester) from 1989 to 1996, when I became 26.

I don't have documents in my record that's almost 16 years old. They want me to send 16 years old I-20, I-94 etc. I called my university, even they don't have my I-20.

I did send more recent I-20 and other documents to SSS with my request for the letter, but they replied with asking for 16 years old documents.

What am I supposed to do ? Please give me your opinion.

thanks,

I think school is required to keep the I-20 for 3-4 yrs in their office and they would remove them for good.

Can't you use your school's transcript? it would show how many credits you enrolled.. etc

I have all my paper work (including multiple I-20, multiple H1B etc..) and I brought them with me to the interview.

I only provided my green card copy and my first stamp on my passport when I used to come to US for the SSS letter. i was not asked to proof my status between F1 - Green card (I might have sent the H1B copy but I could not remember). At least I see they are doing the good job to ensure the eligiblity for NOT registerring the SS.

SSS letter

OCWORKER,

I don't want to submit all my transcripts to SSS to get the letter.

What do yo mean by this:-
"I only provided my green card copy and my first stamp on my passport when I used to come to US for the SSS letter."

Can anybody tell me since I am 35 now, will the officer ask me about SSS letter at the interview ?

thanks,

wood123 said:
OCWORKER,

"I only provided my green card copy and my first stamp on my passport when I used to come to US for the SSS letter."

Can anybody tell me since I am 35 now, will the officer ask me about SSS letter at the interview ?

thanks,

I sent a copy of my F1 visa and the entry stamp to show I entered to US as a nonimmigrant status. I also provided my copy of greencard to show when i became an immigrant in United State (which my immigrant status got kicked in after my 26th birthday).

from your post, i did not figure it when you got your greencard.

I guess you could bet on the interview officer would not ask the SSS letter.

If you have nothing to hide, such as no over-stay or out-of-status during your F1 visa period, why not provide the transcripts to them and issue you a SSS letter. However, unless otherwise.... you get what i mean...

wood123 said:
OCWORKER,

thanks,

If you became LPR when you were 26 years or older, then chances are that they may not ask for SSS letter.

Deer said:
If you became LPR when you were 26 years or older, then chances are that they may not ask for SSS letter.

I got the GC when I was 30 years old, I am now 35, are they going to ask me about the SSS letter since I am a bit old?

As I look back, I still remember the face of the guy who interviewed me for my GC and I didn't have a very good experience with this officer, I had all my paperwork, there wasn't anything missing, it was prepared by a very good lawyer from my employer, but I got really bad vibe from the interviewer, as if he was looking for a way to create complication. At the end when he approved my application, he gave me some form with an attitude as if he was giving me a personal-gift from himself, as if he owns the country !

I look hispanic/middle-eastern or east indian and I hate to say it but I think it matters a lot which officer is doing your interview, and I suspect there are some ethnic-bias among the USCIS interview officers..... this is the part I am most worried about, if you are of the same ethinicity as the officer, your interview will be a breeze, otherwise be prepared for anything !

I even thought about moving to Vermont to apply, inorder to avoid this type of situation, I am sure people who work in Vermont office are most likely all Americans.

thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
wood123 said:
I got the GC when I was 30 years old, I am now 35, are they going to ask me about the SSS letter since I am a bit old?

As I look back, I still remember the face of the guy who interviewed me for my GC and I didn't have a very good experience with this officer, I had all my paperwork, there wasn't anything missing, it was prepared by a very good lawyer from my employer, but I got really bad vibe from the interviewer, as if he was looking for a way to create complication. At the end when he approved my application, he gave me some form with an attitude as if he was giving me a personal-gift from himself, as if he owns the country !

I look middle-eastern/east indian and I hate to say it but I think it matters a lot which officer is doing your interview, and I suspect there are some ethnic-bias among the USCIS interview officers..... this is the part I am most worried about, if you are of the same ethinicity as the officer, your interview will be a breeze, otherwise be prepared for anything !

I even thought about moving to Vermont to apply, inorder to avoid this type of situation, I am sure people who work in Vermont office are most likely all Americans.

thanks,

I hear ya', if you could dig into your docs and find old I-20s or passport stamp etc, then just for your peace of mind go for it. JoeF mentioned that they didn't ask him about the letter and I remember seeing few others as well whom the officer didnt bother to ask for the letter as they were 26 or older at the time of LPR.

JoeF said:
The examiner I had was Asian (Korean-born, I guess from the name), and I am white.

that's the best combo for you guys to get things done, exactly the opposite for me......why you ask..... that's just how things work, may be not in an ideal world, but we don't live in an ideal world !

JoeF said:
They are used to different ethnicities here in LA...

I wish I could say the same about the San Jose office, it's probably the worst for east indians to interview !

I wonder how the San Francisco office is like ? :confused:

if you have all paper work with you, pass the history and english test, and NO name check pending, i hardly see the interview officer would create any complication to you.

anyhow, if you do not prepare well (in terms of documentation), he/she could pick on you and request you to submit more evidence.

ocworker said:
if you have all paper work with you, pass the history and english test, and NO name check pending, i hardly see the interview officer would create any complication to you.

anyhow, if you do not prepare well (in terms of documentation), he/she could pick on you and request you to submit more evidence.

It isn't that simple OCWORKER, there are intangibles you have to be aware of !

wood123 said:
It isn't that simple OCWORKER, there are intangibles you have to be aware of !

ok........

good luck since i was not being treated bad during my GC interview (thru CP), and my citizenship application.

I think there is discrimination between ethinicities at the time of interview.. In fact countries with popular demand like Asian countries could even see difference in processiing timelines .. I think based on original country of citizenship , people get favorable timelines for processing times & favoritism also at the time of interview..

my 2 cents..