State taxes not payed in last 2 years - interview in June

extraterra

Registered Users (C)
I paid all federal taxes, but because I moved around from one state to another and been abroad a lot I haven't paid state taxes. Would that be a problem and what do you recommend?
Thanks.

Ocworker is right
This can be a very serious problem especially if you owe them money , remember your former employer comes up clean at the end of the year and you might raise some red flags but not filling ( in most cases you can even get a refund back )
So if I was you i would get on the phone and try an make arrangements to file your taxes
You might end up paying a small penalty fee but who cares , come up clean and avoid an audit

Good luck :eek:

If you were working on W2, the chances are that you employer paid the state income tax, and you probally owe nothing to the state. If you don't owe anything, then you can just send in the returns and you should be OK.

harvydonald said:
If you were working on W2, the chances are that you employer paid the state income tax, and you probally owe nothing to the state. If you don't owe anything, then you can just send in the returns and you should be OK.
he wouldn't know if he owned unless he files...
my advice - file ASAP pay the penalties and bring the recipt with you

State Tax – Which State should you file?

For four consecutive years (1997-2000), I worked for Company X located in New Jersey but my work assignment and residence address are located in Phoenix, AZ. I filled my first state tax at NJ and the next 3 succeeding years until 2000 (because I started to file my state tax at NJ and the NJ-tax forms came via mail and my employer is located in NJ). Would this be a problem in my N-400 application? (I am now located in Minnesota since mid-2000. Since then, I filed my state tax in MN).

I believe it is standard procedure that you are being asked at least casually about your taxes during the interview. If you answer truthfully ("Not all") you will hit a road block right there - if you 'avoid' the truth you may open the flood gates.

You still have time to straighten everything out, tax accountants are off season right now and should be able to help you out rather quickly.

Alex

pd5469a said:
For four consecutive years (1997-2000), I worked for Company X located in New Jersey but my work assignment and residence address are located in Phoenix, AZ. I filled my first state tax at NJ and the next 3 succeeding years until 2000 (because I started to file my state tax at NJ and the NJ-tax forms came via mail and my employer is located in NJ). Would this be a problem in my N-400 application? (I am now located in Minnesota since mid-2000. Since then, I filed my state tax in MN).

yes and no.

Technically, you are supposed to figure out your earned income for each locale and file taxes in the locales. For example, you ought to pay AZ taxes on income you earned while in AZ, and subtract that from your NJ taxable income. That's how for example consultants and NBA players keep track of their taxes. I work in a city out of my resident state so I file two state tax returns.

In reality, unless you move frequently or make tons of money, nobody really cares where you file.

pd5469a said:

Look, as long as you filed and paid your taxes, you can answer truthfully that you did so. Now, I would not expect the USCIS to know if you filed your taxes correctly (?)

From what you describe you may have been required to file a state income tax return in both states ! You should be able to tell from what is stated on your W2s. If your employer paid state income taxes to NJ you are likely to file two returns if your primary residence is in AZ.

Example: I live in Missouri, my employer is located in Kansas. My employer pays the state income tax to Kansas. Therefore I file a return in Missouri and Kansas. Missouri will give me credit for whatever I paid to Kansas - so I don't pay double the state income tax, I only have to fill out a few more forms.

Either way, if you used a tax accountant you could be rather certain that everything went down the proper channels.

Alex

state taxes requirements

From 2001 through most of 2003, I was a resident of CA and a student (and greencard holder). I did not file state taxes because my income level did not require that I file. In 2003 I changed my residence to Washington DC but did not work - again I did not file based on my income. In 2004, I was a part time resident of DC, but made all of my income on international sources - for which I paid federal taxes, but again, was not required to file district taxes. 2005 is the same story. I have not been required to file state/district taxes -but am up to date with federal returns.

In short, if I haven't filed based on part time residency and no income (in the state while in residence) am I required to show proof of filing regardless?

hey joef i have another question
i took re-entry permit and was in india for 2 yrs tht was long back in 96..during this time i was a student in india..i was not on american soil neither did i earn a penny...was i required to file for taxes?

query11 said:
hey joef i have another question
i took re-entry permit and was in india for 2 yrs tht was long back in 96..during this time i was a student in india..i was not on american soil neither did i earn a penny...was i required to file for taxes?

You are not required to file if your income are below a set threshold. There may be certain exceptions to this simplified statement. Please read:

http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq2-1.html

Alex

appreciate it joe/alex....
seriously this is the reason this portal needs ppl like u who have a wealth of information i mean the reply was spontaneous where as it would have taken me quite a while to look it up...

extraterra said:
I paid all federal taxes, but because I moved around from one state to another and been abroad a lot I haven't paid state taxes. Would that be a problem and what do you recommend?
Thanks.

=====

Would that be a problem and what do we recommend ?

Come on, you ought to know that you need to be current on both federal and state tax filings to be eligible for citizenship. What is there to advice, you have enough time, so go file them before the interview.

When you said you haven't paid state taxes, you haven't paid at all or you think you may owe more than your employer deducted from your pay check?
If you owe the state, you will pay penalty and interest, if you get refund and it is still not three years late, then you may get your refund.