State ID for an out of status guy in Texas..

mack16

Registered Users (C)
I live in Texas and I'd like to know if I can take out a state id under the out of status situation on which I'm in. I have a SS card but it has the legend :NOT AVAILABLE FOR EMPLOYMENT. I still dont have my 485 approved, just pending. I have my -I797 STAMPED, but didn't file for a EAD PERMIT. Is it possible for me to take a state id out?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Check the Texas DMV website. Some DMVs (like Pennsylvania) will accept AOS receipt as proof of legal status and issue a DL/State ID from that. However most States only accept either Green Card or EAD.

EDIT:
Check here: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/admini..._control/pages/identificationrequirements.htm

It looks like Texas requires EAD or Green Card.

BTW - you're not "Out of Status" if you've filed your I-485.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! It sucks, I need my ID so bad, they ask for it everywhere. I have to be showing my consulate Id. :(

I take it you didn't apply for EAD? You're going to have to wait for your Green Card then unfortuntaly, which could be soon or a very long time, depending on how things go!

dr_lha said:
I take it you didn't apply for EAD? You're going to have to wait for your Green Card then unfortuntaly, which could be soon or a very long time, depending on how things go!
I didn't, my lawyer said I didn't have to, that it was just a waste of money. He's sure I'll be getting my green card soon, he's an ex ins officer, so I took his advice. :(

mack16 said:
I didn't, my lawyer said I didn't have to, that it was just a waste of money. He's sure I'll be getting my green card soon, he's an ex ins officer, so I took his advice. :(

This green card stuff you never predict it, Your lawyer being a former INS staff does not mean everything is just fine, he might just look at your aplication and knows that everything is fine, but you might get stock in name check, i will suggust you apply for EAD so as to get your State ID depending on the state. If you really need it, as you have claimed that the always ask for it

Best Of Luck

j4gc said:
This green card stuff you never predict it, Your lawyer being a former INS staff does not mean everything is just fine, he might just look at your aplication and knows that everything is fine, but you might get stock in name check, i will suggust you apply for EAD so as to get your State ID depending on the state. If you really need it, as you have claimed that the always ask for it

Best Of Luck
So I can still file for an EAD? even if my paperwork is already in process?