starting a company on ead,please answer

rajcat1011

Registered Users (C)
can i start my company on my ead.looking for a answer for months.
can i start my company( get tax id etc) on my ead ? , if i can then i understand i cant maintain my h1b.my i-140 is not approved.

what are the pros and cons of the situation.

I appreciate your help.Please help me out , I have been trying to find answers for this for months.

regards
raj

can i start my company on my ead.looking for a answer for months.
can i start my company( get tax id etc) on my ead ?
Yes. You can!
if i can then i understand i cant maintain my h1b.my i-140 is not approved.

what are the pros and cons of the situation.
It is better to wait till your I-140 is approved before you avail AC21 provisions for Self-employment. (Your GC sponsor may withdraw I-140 or may not respond to any RFE on I-140 after you leave)

Please find below some info I had collected in 2006 before starting my company when I was on EAD.
Attorney Matthew Oh in immigration-law.com

26: When you port after 180 days of filing of I-485, you do not have to prove that the new employer has a financial ability to pay the proffered salary. However, USCIS may turn around and indirectly pursue this issue by requesting evidence that the new employement was an "legitimate" offer of employment. It is a question of the existence of similar or same occupational classification and the financial ability to pay may be indirectly relevant. Such financial ability to pay issue may be overcome if the new employer establishes the existence of a legitimate job for the alien. USCIS cannot deny I-485 application on the new employer's financial ability of pay issue alone when there is an evidence that the new employer has a legitimate job for the alien. If you can enter into a good contract with the clients for your wife's or your own company, you can port to your own company. AC-21 portability is available even in the context of self-employment inasmuch as the following three requirements are met: (1) The new self-employment is in a same or similar occupational classification. (2) The self-employment is "legitimate" and there is indeed a bona fides job existent. (3) When I-140 petition was filed by your current employer, your employer truly intended to hire you for the offered permenent job once your green card is approved and you yourself also had the same intent to work for your employer once the green card is approved. When you have been working for the current employer for a number of years, it may be fairly easy to establish this requirement. However, when you are not currently employed by the petitioning employer, this third requirement will be a very challenging issue. All in all, if you can develop a solid business that requires your work similar or same to the I-140 occupational classification, you may be safe to port to such a self-employment type of business, provided that you should be prepared to provide all the aforementioned evidence once you receive RFE from the USCIS. For instance, if you are a computer consultant working at your employer's client site. For whatever reasons, the client does not want to continue doing business with your employer. The client is willing to give the contract to yourself for the same job. From the perspective of AC-21 portability, you may not anticipate too much problem. However, there is a potential issue of the breach of employment contract with your employer. Accordingly, unless either your employer consents to such change or there is no employment contract

Interim Guidance for Processing Form I-140 EB Immigrant Petitions and Form I-485 and H-1B Petitions under AC-21 (5-12-05)http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/AC21intrm051205.pdf

Question8. Can an alien port to self-employment under INA 204(j)

Answer: Yes, as long as the requirements are met. First, the key is whether the employment is in a “same or similar” occupational classification as the job for which the original I-140 petition was filed. Second, it may be appropriate to confirm that the new employer and the job offer are legitimate through an RFE to the adjustment applicant for relevant information about these issues. Third, as with any portability case, USCIS will focus on whether the I-140 petition represented the truly intended employment at the time of the filing of both the I-140 and the I-485. This means that, as of the time of the filing of the I-140 and at the time of filing the I-485 if not filed concurrently, the I-140 petitioner must have had the intent to employ the beneficiary, and the alien must have intended to undertake the employment, upon adjustment. Adjudicators should not presume absence of such intent and may take the I-140 and supporting documents themselves as prima facie evidence of such intent, but in appropriate cases additional evidence or investigation may be appropriate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone done this and has got his case approved?
The 3rd point of proving intenet to employ yourself is FISHY....

Any good lawyers who can help this?
Ordinraily how much you require to show the Ability to pay in case annual pay for employee is 100K?

Opened company on EAD

Hello.. Even I'm pretty much waiting for this answer.

Me and my husband both are on EAD's from last four years and now my husabnd opned a company on his name, Principal applicant in our case is me. I'm working on W2 to different company,(not for gc sponsoring company).
Now, can I transfer my billing to our company on corp to corp and can I be on W2 to my own comapny.. Please someone answer my question, I really aprecaite your answer.

Has anyone done this and has got his case approved?
The 3rd point of proving intenet to employ yourself is FISHY....

Any good lawyers who can help this?
Ordinraily how much you require to show the Ability to pay in case annual pay for employee is 100K?

Hello.. Even I'm pretty much waiting for this answer.

Me and my husband both are on EAD's from last four years and now my husabnd opned a company on his name, Principal applicant in our case is me. I'm working on W2 to different company,(not for gc sponsoring company).
Now, can I transfer my billing to our company on corp to corp

Yes. You can transfer your billing to your company on Corp to Corp basis.

can I be on W2 to my own comapny..

In the case of a multi-member LLC, I found that as a member, I could not get paid on W2 basis and I get what is known as guaranteed payment to partner for my services. (Please see instructions for Form 1065)

question to Dallas03096

Thanks Dallas03096,

I appreciate your answer for me. But, just want to clear little more, In my case company is only on my husbands name. I'm not the member. Can I be on w2 employee for the company.

Pl let me know.

[

QUOTE=Dallas03096;1853921]Yes. You can transfer your billing to your company on Corp to Corp basis.

In the case of a multi-member LLC, I found that as a member, I could not get paid on W2 basis and I get what is known as guaranteed payment to partner for my services. (Please see instructions for Form 1065)[/QUOTE]

I'm not the member. Can I be on w2 employee for the company.

Pl let me know.
I do not see any problem with that. This is based on a FAQ in this link: http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq12-1.html
Can a husband and wife run a business as a sole proprietor or do they need to be a partnership?

It is possible for either the husband or the wife to be the owner of the sole proprietor business. When only one spouse is the owner, the other spouse can work in the business as an employee. If a married couple who file a joint tax return elect to conduct their business activities as a qualified joint venture, (a trade or business entity in which the husband and wife materially participate in such venture), the spouses must divide the items of income, gain, loss, deduction, credit and expenses in accordance with their respective interests in such venture. This is effective for taxable years beginning after December 31, 2006. Also, see Rev. Proc. 2002-69 for Special Rules for Spouses in Community States.

I am not a tax expert. Please contact your CPA or call IRS
Telephone Assistance for Businesses:
Toll-Free, 1-800-829-4933
Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Dallas03096,

Actually, I just spoke to the employer with whom I'm working with. They mentioned I have to be the partner of the company to do corp-corp. My only concern here is can I be a partner in the company when I'm still waiting for my green card. In my case I got my I-140 approved in 2005 itself and also I finished my 485 interview and currently I'm just waiting for the visa number.

Please let me know.

Actually, I just spoke to the employer with whom I'm working with. They mentioned I have to be the partner of the company to do corp-corp.

Your husband's company can enter into a corp to corp agreement with your client while you can be an employee of that company. There is no need for you to be a partner in the company for entering into a corp to corp arrangement with the client.

My only concern here is can I be a partner in the company when I'm still waiting for my green card. In my case I got my I-140 approved in 2005 itself and also I finished my 485 interview and currently I'm just waiting for the visa number.

I was in a similar status when I started a two member LLC with my son.

Hi Dallas03096

Actually employer is not accepting if I'm not there in the company certificate.
Will it ok If I become partner and do corp-corp. My only concern with the whole process is I dont want to get into trouble when I'm waiting for Visa number. In case like me can I get into company-partnership and then do my IT job.?

Appreciate your suggestion.

Your husband's company can enter into a corp to corp agreement with your client while you can be an employee of that company. There is no need for you to be a partner in the company for entering into a corp to corp arrangement with the client.

I was in a similar status when I started a two member LLC with my son.

Will it ok If I become partner and do corp-corp. My only concern with the whole process is I dont want to get into trouble when I'm waiting for Visa number. In case like me can I get into company-partnership and then do my IT job.?

Yes. You can be a partner but make sure you still do a IT job (same or similar to the one for which I-140 was approved.)
Please see my post# 2 in this thread.

Thanks Dallas03096

Thanks Dallas03096, I'm planning to become partner in the company. And yes, I'm an IT consultant. I'm planning to be on W2 to the company... Is it true that I only can work on W2 untill I get GC..?.. Say suppose If I take wages, on 1063 form as you said earlier, Will Uscis will consider that as paystub and I wont be having any issues.. right.?.

Pl let me know your thoughts and suggestions.

Yes. You can be a partner but make sure you still do a IT job (same or similar to the one for which I-140 was approved.)
Please see my post# 2 in this thread.

Hi,

I have a question about hiring another employee while on EAD

I have my own IT company and am employing myself (my company has a contract with the client for my services corp-2-corp). I am still on EAD - followed all rules, I140 approved and started to work for my own company after 180 days of filing I-485 - same Job title / responsibilities. Now, one of my friends who is also in the same situation - I140 approved and crossed 180 days of filing I-485, Approved EAD, want to join my company using his EAD. He has a 6 months contract. He want my company to run his payroll and maintain the 6 month contract with his client.

IF my company hires him and sub-contracts him to his client, will this cause any problems with my Green card?