Start-up Process to sponsor H-1

cbarus

Registered Users (C)
I started my company (IT Staff augmentation) last year and have done some corp-corp contracts so far. Now I realized it is time to get my own employees (none so far) to take the company to the next level. I intend to sponsor some H-1 this year (for Oct 06) and am looking for some checklist/guidelines of what INS looks for when approving H-1s for start ups. If this has been discussed already elsewhere, appreciate if you could point me there.

Appreciate your time

cbarus said:
Still waiting for some thoughts....Your time is greatly appreciated

I was looking into this stuff last week and asked Mr. Khanna's office the same question. And got the following as reply..

It can be really difficult for start up (or very small) companies to obtain H-1 visas. Doubly so, if people are being hired outside the U.S. Normally INS asks you to prove:
1. You are capable of paying wages
2. You have sufficient amount of work
3. You are a reliable company with proper staff, offices and equipment.

YOU MAY STILL SUCCEED If you can:
- SHOW HOW YOU CAN PAY THE WAGES

LINE OF CREDIT
We have advised people to try to get a line of credit from a bank. That works sort of like a credit card. Unless you use the money, you pay no interest on it. Contact any local bank for more details. It is difficult to put down exact numbers, but $250,000 line of credit is a healthy number. Please note, merely having money in the bank may not be sufficient. Also, those companies that are starting with a promised Venture Capital of more than $500,000 should be OK.

BUSINESS PLAN
Having a solid, detailed business plan can help. There is mush software out on the shelves that can help you put together a good business plan.

- Show you have enough work for employees.
BUSINESS PLAN
See above.

CONTRACTS WITH CLIENTS
If personnel are being outsourced, contracts from clients will help.

- Involve more than one person in your company's management

These questions can be difficult (but not impossible - we hope) to answer. But each case has its own facts.

Hope this helps..
radd

Radd- Thanks a lot for this information. I will contact my local bank tomorrow to see if they will extend the line of credit for me, in addition to working on the business plan.

Appreciate your help

Last edited by a moderator: