Stamping @SFO, Really Cool!

desi girl

Registered Users (C)
We got our I-551 stamp at SFO today. We read on the discussion board about the photo shop opposite INS office, so we did not get any pictures done before. It was expensive there ($13 for 2 photos instead of $16 for 6 which we got earlier in San Jose when applying for EAD/AP) but hey, the company pays, so why bother:) We reached Sansome X Washington at 9:15AM. Found a garage 2 blocks from INS office, $2.50 for 20 min. The one opposite INS was $4 for 20 min. Went to the photo shop. Got the photos done in 10 min, were standing in line at 9:40AM. There were about 15 people.
Went in for the security check. Just before we were about go in, a few people with 10AM and 10:15AM appointment people came in. So, we waited for a few minutes. Were inside at 10AM. Dropped the approved notices in the slot. Our names were called within 2min. The announcer had big trouble saying my name. Took him 4 times to get it right. So, we were laughing by the time we were at counter 19. A very nice african american lady was at the counter. She took our passports and EADs.She did not take our APs. She then took our finger prints and signatures. Asked us to wait a few minutes. Within 3-4 minutes we were called back. She handed us over passports over. We were out by 10:20AM. We were waiting inside for just enough time for me to read 4 pages of the book I took with me in expectation of a long wait. It was altogether a quick and pleasant experience.
A quick note for those people driving from the South Bay. The morning traffic is not that bad on US 101N. We drove from San Mateo to the INS office in just about 45 minutes. You can even find some public parking if you go around the streets surrounding the INS office.

Overall, my GC process went through quite smoothly. It took 1 year and 9 months for the whole process and I called the IIO only 3 times, once to change the address, once to confirm the change and one to enquire about FP results. The only minor glitch was a delay in getting my FP, which I got 3 months later than most of my colleagues who applied with me got. But I got my approval at the same time as they did, so I did not lose much.

This forum has been a great help to me during the process. It helped solve a few of the INS mysteries and it helped me stay sane by keeping me updated about the status of others in my situation.

Now I can stop worrying about my green card and concentrate on my GMAT which I am taking this weekend.

Thankyou all for the help and info you provided.

Pcee, now that Ciba is retiring for a while, do you think you could add a column,"Plastic Card" to the tracking list, starting with the April mailers?

One more thing!

It is better to take the courtesy copy rather than the original if you are represented by a lawyer. The original has the lawyer\'s address on it. So, the lady at the counter made a handwritten note of our address on the approval form. I am concerned that the card might ultimately end up in the lawyer\'s office.
So, take the courtesy copy, not the original.

Thank YOu so much for detailed Posting and for you Note.

Good Luck for your GMAT, we on this board are pretty sure that you
will come out with flying
colors :)

No Title

did they not ask for ur I-94?
mine is lost and have applied one for replacement.
the lawyer says i can use a photocopy of i-94

just attach the photo copy of I-94 in your passport and give it

if they come back and ask for original, tell that it is missed, don\'t worry. All they want is whether you are in status or not, once 485 approved, all is right.

No Title

desi girl,
Thank you for sharing your experience. Goodluck for GMAT.
I will add a column for Plastic...
- PCee

What is the name of the shop opposite SFO INS for ADIT photos

And also its address.
Thanks in advance
Kalyan