Stamping questions

helloSuganthi

Registered Users (C)
I am planning to go for stamping this week to Chicago. Can you all please provide some info.
1. What time should I be there at INS. Some say very early morning. I am concerned because I have a baby to carry along.
2. What all documents I need to take for stamping.
3. Is there a seperate application for plastic card.
4. What is that SSN thing people are talking about.

Thanks
RD 09/19
AD 09/25
EB3 INDIA RIR

Hi Sugathi,

When did u get your approval notice?

I have exactly same RD and AD and will have go to Chicago Office for stamping. But I am still waiting for notice.

Thanks

Hi PRL
I didnt receive my approval notice yet. Waiting for the same.
What time are you planning to go in the morning.?

1. Early morning is not required, I went at 10:45 out by 1:15. There were lots of people with babies there, not an issue.

2. EAD, 2 immigration-style pictures, passport, I-94

3. No

4. Don't know myself, they asked me to contact my local SS office

About #4

You need to go to SSN office 'cause right now your SSN card says (should say)

"Valid for work only with INS authorization"

Now u have ur passport stamped, you will get a new card without those words. Ur SSn will remain the same just u'll be issued new card.

>1. What time should I be there at INS. Some say very early morning. I am concerned because I have a baby to carry along.

Depends on the INS office, I dont know about Chicago. YOu may want to look at the "485 issues with Nebraska Center" column in immigrationportal.com.

>2. What all documents I need to take for stamping.
EAD, 2 immigration-style pictures, passport, I-94

>3. Is there a seperate application for plastic card.
No, its part of passport stamping process(Form I-89 I guess).

>4. What is that SSN thing people are talking about.
Look at your SS card, if it says "Valid to work only with INS Authorizion", then you may want to remove this condition. They will order a new SS card (same number) without this condition written on it. It will let you work anywhere, you can start your own motel if you want to :)

good luck
fizk

Last edited by a moderator:
stamping at other INS office

Can one go to any INS office in USA, regardless of what approval notice says?

Got CC

Hi Suganthi,

I recevied the Courtsey Copy. Planning to go for stamping next week. Can I get stamp with CC or need the lawyer notice?

Please share your exp whenever u go.

Thanks