Stamping experience SFO

tsc_src02179

Registered Users (C)
Stamping experience

My approval notice arrived a week after the message changed on the Internet.BEcause I live in San Francisco, The approval notice asked me to go to SFO center.
The stamping was fine, not without some frustations as you can expect. We went there at about 6 am and there were 400 people in the line already.We stood in the queue. There were two lines and we did not know which one was for what. One of them was supposed to be for people who had prior appointments scheduled. At about 8 AM the line started moving very very slowely.The line progressed 10 people till 9:30AM.I was not sure if I would get stamped today. There was a lady handing the token numbers not to every one but selectively.She had no official badge or anything on her that indicated she worked for USICS.I thougt a lot before talking to her, but finally I showed my approval notice and to my utter surprise,she gave me the number. So funny .. You expect this place to be a little organized but, there is so much confusion, its sickening.Show your approval notice to the person who appears to direct people and ask for the number as soon as you arrive, don’t waste your time standing in a line which seems to be the right one for you. Not the security, they seem as dumb as they come.We had scores of people showup after us. There was a long long line and it seems to be like that every day of the year. It was enlightning. We made friends with a nice german couple who had to go through the same ordeal of H1B.

Once you are through the security check.Its staraight forward. You have to wait for your number to show up on the display. While you are waiting the announcements on the PA system from the IIO's really made me think.One of the announcements went something along these lines."You need to have every thing in order before you come to my desk , If not we will make you wait till the end of the day "??? I handed over Photos ( same as the ones we take for EAD's and Ap's) ,3 EAD's, 3 AP's. And the IIO seemed to have a procedure laid out to stamp the Stamp( Which was by the way in red not Green ).He pasted the 3 EAD's on his form, Took off the I-94's and pasted the recent EAD on the top of I-94, took an ink fingerprint of the right index finger , my autograph and I was done. Had to wait for a few minutes while the IIO carried his procedure methodically. He stamped the passport and that was it. Interesting end to a journey well taken with a stamp. How funny!!!!We were out by 1:30 PM... Time to celebrate .. Got to go.

Hang in there. Your's is just round the corner.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. 6 AM to 1:30 PM. That really was a long wait, indeed. Somehow I am glad I live in Atlanta - 45 minutes sure beats 7 and a half hours. Sorry to hear that!

Let us know when your card arrives and all the best!

could you clarify?

We are new to this GC area. Could you explain what "stamping" is?
Do you mean to say that the you had to go to an immigration officer to get the green card personally?
Or is it that after you got the green card, you had to go to get a stamp on your passport?
I was under the impression that the GC is just a card like the EAD and no more procedure needs to be done afterwards

Thanks

well once you receive the I-485 approval, you go to the loacl office with passport, approval, photos and other documents. This is where u r finger printed and get stamp on ur passport (stamp valid for a year). U also apply for the card.

After that only you get the card in mail. The card is valid for 10 years and can take anytime between 2 weeks to a year to get to you after stamping, in the meanwhile the stamp is good fro travel.

After you get the card u wait for 5 yrs to apply for citizenship, and hopefully will not have to renew the GC.

Thats all

tirednconfused said:
Could you explain what "stamping" is? Do you mean to say that the you had to go to an immigration officer to get the green card personally?
After your I-485 (adjustment) application is approved, you need to apply IN PERSON for form I-551 (the greencard itself). If you noticed on your EAD, there is a fingerprint place which usually says "fingerprint not available". Your fingerprint goes in that place on a real greencard and they are collecting that fingerprint and your signature when you come to a local USCIS office with your I-485 approval letter.

tirednconfused said:
Or is it that after you got the green card, you had to go to get a stamp on your passport?
The passport stamp is a temporary evidence of your greencard. Technically you don't have to get your passport stamped, but since you have to appear in person anyway (look above) then it is just convenient to get it. With this stamp you can travel and work. It's as good as a greencard, but is valid only for one year.

tirednconfused said:
I was under the impression that the GC is just a card like the EAD and no more procedure needs to be done afterwards
Yes, but you will not get the card automagically. You need to go and apply for it :)

Hope this helps.