Stamping Experience (Seattle, WA)

Avi Singh

Registered Users (C)
Well.. I have had the approval letter (courtsey copy, never could get the original from my old lawyer) for a while and I had been thinking of stamping for couple of days, and finally made it to the USCIS office on Monday 08/16.

Well firstly I hadn't taken an infopass appointment and had to spend a lot of time in queue and then waiting for my turn. So all of you, if your center accepts it, make sure you take an infopass appointment and only then go to the USCIS office.

Well I got there around 8:00 ( had planned to be there at 7:00 but hey, I need my beauty sleep). The website says there is some limited free parking, but it was late so I didn't even try to find that. There is a parking lot just beyond the USCIS office but they charge like $6 for 1-2 hours /$20 all day. But just past that, if you take a right from the lightm, there is I think "Double Diamond" parking and they had $2 for 2 hours/$4 all day parking.

Then got back to the office, stood in the queue, got the number "A020". There was a seperate line for infopass appointment holders, well actually there was no line, I mean noone was waiting. You could just breeze through if you had an appointment.

If you have an appointment, you were supposed to place the appointment letter in a tray (if you go left after entering, you'd see signs for that). And then you will be caled by your Name.

As for me, I got the number (A020 infact) and I just waited like 4+ hours for that to be called. There are 4 TVs in the waiting area, with the one in rear showing Cartoon Network.

So around 12:30 I got called. Stamping was pretty routine. I was bored out of my skull by this time. So even though the Immigration Officer was jovial and was making small conversation, I kept it to a minimum.
He asked for Driver's License, passport (with the I-94 Arrival/Departure Record), Approval letter.
Took my fingerprint and signature. Stamped my passport. Confirmed my address. Told me that the card would arrive anywhere between 2mths to an year.

Not to diminish any of the feelings that the folks who are waiting are going through (I went through the same hell believe me for 2 1/2 years), but the any excitement/happiness soon wore off. When I just got approved whenever I would think about my approval I would smile :)

But now, though I am not anxious as I used to be about my approval. But I am not any happy either. After you have yearned for it so long, it's almost anti-climactic once you get it.

Again, please I am not trying to undermine any of your feelings/struggles. I am just sharing my feelings. After all this, I think Green Card was not the "Holy Grail". Earlier whenever I used to be stressed about anything, I would think, Oh Gosh only if I had a green card, everything would have been allright.

But now on the other side, the grass is no greener really. But hey, I am still VERY VERY GLAD that I AM on this side.

Well, I am a very frequent visitor of this site (though not a frequent poster) and continue to visit it almost daily inspite of the approval. This community has really supported me throughout this ordeal. So guys I just felt like sharing this with all of you.

Cheers! And good luck to all thse waitng (it is very encouraging to see the 2003/2004 approvals)
- Avi

Good Luck and I share your feelings as I feel the same way even after I-140 approval I-485 is still pending