Stamping experience in San Francisco

JFC37

Registered Users (C)
Despite the fact that our courtesy copies mentioned Monterey Road in SJ, we decided to go to SF for passport stamping. It just seemed smoothier over there, based on the feedback posted by many folks on this forum.

We arrived a 7AM at the 444 Washington Street entrance. There were about 50 people ahead of us. After about 20 mins of wait (in the chilly SF wind), the security guard gave us a ticket after checking our I-797 (as I said, we took the courtesy copies - no questions asked about SF vs SJ), and sent us to the appointment lane on 360 Sansome. We entered the building almost immediately and waited to go through security. At 7:30AM we entered the big room where everybody is waiting. Depending on the type of processing, one is given a different ticket. We got a D for Ajdustment of Status (D424).

We got into this large room where people are waiting for their tickets to be called at a number of counters. The different types of tickets are processed separately and therefore it is really difficult to predict when your turn will come. The bummer this morning was that they did not start processing D tickets (AOS) before 8:45AM. It then took about a couple of hours to go through the 20-ish people in front of us, the first 10 taking over an hour, the rest going more quickly.

We got called at 11AM, the agent (lady) was very amicable. She got our passports stamped and papers filled in in less than 10 minutes, and stated that we would get the plastic cards in about 2 months.

Couple of things:
- San Francisco agents seem pretty OK in general. Security guards let you in with food and beverages, but not with cameras or cell phone equipped with cameras. I saw people making phone calls on their cell phone inside the waiting room.
- They stopped issuing tickets for the day at 10:15AM.
- Bring a good book, or your laptop and two batteries, and take it easy while waiting.
- When going through security, remove ALL metallic objects from your pockets and put your bag, jacket and shoes in the damn plastic box. It was unbelievable how many people went through the X-ray machine 3 or 4 times because they had forgotten about yet another piece of metal.

Hope this helps,

J.

Any experinces , suggestions and precautions while going with kids

JFC,
Thanks for posting your experince at SFO center. it helps us a lot.

i am going for stamping with my wife and two young kids (6 yrs and 2 yrs). Any experinces , suggestions and precautions while going with kids.

Ours is approved from TSC...planning to go to SFO for stamping. !!!

thanks in advance
Devaa

Hi Devaa,

Just bring them snacks, water and something to read or play with. You are up for a few hours wait, unless they immediately start processing D tickets.

Good luck,

J.

jfc37,

I see you were approved on 7/6... when did your paper notice arrive? I was approved 7/9 but have received nothing in the mail yet... online system says that notice was mailed on 7/9.

thanks, -wik

Till what time the tokens / numbers are issued usually

Thansk for the reply.

As i am going with kids, reaching the service center before 8am may be a bit unrealistic with 40 miles driving time included.

Is it okay if i reach between 8am and 9am.

Till what time the tokens / numbers are issued usually.
I have no appointment.

thanks
Devaa

Wik,

We got approved on 07/06, I got the emails on 07/07 and the courtesy copies arrives by mail on 07/10.

Deeva,

Can't comment about "usual" since I have only been there once, but per my posting they stopped issuing tickets at 10:15AM yesterday. You should be good by getting there at 8AM, but it might be a long day.

Hope this helps,

J.

Thanks for the details JFC37, I am going tomorrow morning to SF for stamping. Not looking forward to it, tired just thinking of how early I have to get up.

A friend of mine from work went last week, got there at 9am stood outside for 2 hours and they stopped issuing tickets at 11am and my friend was no where near the door. But an officer had come out and asked for people with 485 approval notices and taken those people inside. Then inside there was another 3 hour wait for stamping. Anyway my friend finally left at around 3pm after stamping, it had been pretty miserable without food/water or reading material.

By the way looked up a translation for the Jean de La Fontaine quote from JFC37:
"Patience and passage of time do more than strength and fury."

Personally, with respect to my I-485 I prefer the following quote by Edmund Burke:
"There is however a limit at which forbearance ceases to be a virtue."

WAC-02-155-XXXX

Weary,

It sounds as though the "extraction" of I-485 approvals happens at the beginning of the day, and then towards the time they are running out of tickets. What I am not clear on is the center's policy for assigning officers to different types of processing (witnessing it for 4 hours was not enough for me to build a model).

I however wanted to mention that you can go in and out of the building to buy food, drinks, etc. So there is no reason to get stuck inside, as long as you do not leave the room when your number might be up. To come back, you need to show your ticket and make sure you mention to the guards going out that you will come back in. That allows you to cut the waiting lane of the people who are still queuing outside.

Rgds,

J.

Last edited by a moderator:
JFC37 said:
Wik,

We got approved on 07/06, I got the emails on 07/07 and the courtesy copies arrives by mail on 07/10.

Thanks for the info. My lawyers just called to say they got the Approval Notices - I expect to get my courtesy copies in the next day or so.

wik said:
jfc37,

I see you were approved on 7/6... when did your paper notice arrive? I was approved 7/9 but have received nothing in the mail yet... online system says that notice was mailed on 7/9.

thanks, -wik

Me and my spouse were approved also on the 7/6.. but I am still waiting for the approval notice to arrive. Wife's notice arrived on the 9th - the stamp on the letter was from 7/7

From the I-797 notices I have, I did small statistics - there is a gap of 3 to 7 days between the notice date and the stamped date on the envelope, i.e. thats how long it took for different notices to be put in the mail system

I-485 case: WAC-03-104-5xxxx
Approved on 7/6/2004
Still waiting for the notice