Stamping experience in Milwaukee

brahmachari99

Registered Users (C)
I got approved last week (received the email on Monday morning, Aug 23, 2004 - who says Mondays are bad?), and had been waiting for the approval letter in the mail everyday since. I wanted to get our passports stamped as soon as I got the letters, and since I live about an hour and a half away from Milwaukee, I had to plan early. In anticipation, I had the photographs taken (full frontal) and had everything ready. The approval letters arrived last Thursday at 12:00 noon. As soon as my wife told me the mail had arrived, I took off from work and darted back home. Surprisingly, the letter asked the photos to be 3/4 view, so I had to go back and retake the photos.

I live about an hour and a half from Milwaukee, and the Milwaukee office closes at 2:30pm. By the time we retook the photos, it was 1:00pm, but we managed to reach the INS office by 2:25pm. Went straight to the second floor and took our number. There were hardly 3-4 people there and at least 3 windows were open. As soon as we sat down to take a breather, we were called in by the nice lady at the window. I slid our approval letters underneath the window, and she promptly took out the stamp and asked for our passports. She also asked for our APs, EADs, etc since we didn't need them. We gladly gave them to her. She asked us to fill out a sheet of paper with name/address etc (for easy data entry, she said). Then she said she'd stamp my wife's passport first (she's the derivative, I'm the primary). It didn't look like she checked or verified anything, just a quick glance at our approval letters (courtesy copies) was sufficient. I had taken employment letter, bank statements, etc, but she didn't ask for them. The only question she did ask was about what kind of work I did, and that too was more of a friendly chit-chat question rather than an immigration interview question. Since I had both kind of photos, she took the full frontal ones, even though the letter said 3/4 view. In all, it took about 15 minutes. A very pleasant experience, highly recommended! Thank you, lady at the window at INS Milwaukee office!

The next day I went to the Social Security office to get new SS cards that don't have the "Not valid for work without INS authorization" written on them. They said they'd verifiy our new permanent resident status with INS, and that it takes INS up to ten days to update their databases. Luckily, when she put our Alien #s in the computer, our names came up, so our new SS cards should arrive in 2 weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting this. I'll go Milwaukee to have my passport stamped next week. I'll take the full frontal view photos with me, even the approval notice says the 3 quarter view.

I'll use Infopass to make an appointment instead of walk-in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Happyvoda said:
Thanks for posting this. I'll go Milwaukee to have my passport stamped next week. I'll take the full frontal view photos with me, even the approval notice says the 3 quarter view.

I'll use Infopass to make an appointment instead of walk-in.

I don' think the Milwaukee office has Infopass. I find the Milwaukee office to be great, there are never too many people, and always plenty of parking available. You could get there late as I did, instead of early.

Milwaukee is in Infopass

Well, Milwaukee sub office belongs to Chicago district. Maybe Milwaukee hasn't enforced the Infopass appointment and still takes walk-in, but I would still like to make an appointment to be safe.

Indeed, I made an appointment with Milwaukee for next week via Infopass yesterday. I just typed in the zip code, the Infopass figured out that Milwaukee is the place I should go for stamping.

My experience

I made an Infopass appointment on 9/8 10:30AM. My wife and I got the office at 10:25. We first talked to the officer behind the information desk on first floor. He looked our Infopass printout, checked my name on his Infopass appointment list, and asked us to go upstairs. After we went to the upstairs, we dropped the Infopass appointment printout into a small window (as per the officer in the 1st floor said). My name was called at 10:40AM (waiting for about 10-15 min). The officer in the window took our courtesy approval notices (we only have courtesy copies) and two photos for each of us (frontal view), and gave us a form to fill. The form asks for name, address, birth city/country, first entry city to US, and first entry destination city in US. After we returned the form, he took our passports, checked the name and the expiration date on the passports, and then took our index finger prints and had us signed the form in another window. After that, he went to a desk in the middle of the room and stamped our passports. After he came back, he wrote down some more information on the stamp, including our A#, Milwaukee office, stamp date, and expiration date. He then said congratulations to us and told us it's done. He didn't ask us for I-94/EAD/AP, so I asked him about this. He then collected our I-94/EAD/AP's. One question we asked was when we could get our plastic cards. His answer was: 15-18 months. Looks like we would need to have our passports stamped again next year.

The process took about 20 min. On 11:00AM, we were out of the office.

I strongly recommend you to use Infopass to make an appointment before you go, if Infopass hasn't been enforced in your local district/suboffice. For our cases, we only waited for 10-15 min to get called. I'm not sure when we would get called if we didn't use Infopass, since there were more than 20 people in the waiting area. Milwaukee has 4 windows - only 1 opens to walk-in and other 3 open to Infopass appointments now as I observed. From USCIS webpage, for Milwaukee sub office - "Please note that after October 6, 2004 walk-ins will no longer be accepted without prior scheduling of an appointment.". For other district or sub offices, I suggest you to check this site first to make sure when Infopass will be enforced in the office you'll go if you do want to use walk-in.
http://uscis.gov/graphics/fieldoffices/distsub_offices/index.htm