Stamping experience at SFO 6/17

DesiBiker

Registered Users (C)
Just wanted to share my experience.
WAC02-142-5XXXX approved 6/11.
Short summary - In by 6:30am, out by 7:30am. $18 damage for parking.

Long story :
Got our notices of approval yesterday (6/16). We went to SFO office at 630 Sansome today at 6:30am. There was a line already - I panicked and parked in the super expensive public parking right across the building on Sansome ($4.50 per 15 minutes, $28 max per day). I was directed by the security to join the line leading to the entrance on Washington. When the line moved and I turned onto Washington, I found several open metered street parking slots right across the entrance!.
Anyway, by around 6:55 I was near the entrance of the building - the security guy checked photo ID (Drivers Lic, Passport or even EAD is OK for ID) and checked our cell phones. He said camera phones are not allowed. At that time, a lady came out and asked people with approval notices to form a line behind her - we were the first ones and about 10 other people joined the line. She led us to the Sansome entrance (normally by appointment only) where we passed thru security and the lady gave us tickets. It was about 7:10 by then. We went to the waiting room and my ticket got called at 7:20. The lady at the counter was pretty efficient (looks like counter 9 was dedicated for stamping) - asked for the notice, confirmed the address is right. Then asked for ALL APs, ALL EADs (I had 3 each) and I94. She then asked for the photographs, checked the back for name and A#. After that, she took my finger print and signature twice. She then took my passport and stamped it. She also told me that I am now eligible to work and travel freely in/out of the US :). I was done in 5 mintues. Next was my wife and she was done in the next 5 minutes. So by 7:30, we were out!.
The only point of confusion is the time frame to receive the plastic card. I am pretty sure the IIO told me it takes 4-6 weeks, but my wife is sure that the same IIO told her it takes 12-14 months (!!!) to recv the card.

Thats all folks!.

regards,
biker

DesiBiker said:
.The only point of confusion is the time frame to receive the plastic card. I am pretty sure the IIO told me it takes 4-6 weeks, but my wife is sure that the same IIO told her it takes 12-14 months (!!!) to recv the card.

For my wife's stamping also, the officer told 12 months. But I think from SF office, people get card within 4-6 weeks.

chalam said:
Congrats.

Just out of curiosity, did they ask all the APs(I mean every time we get an AP we receive 3 copies)
For ID, is just passport enough. One of my friends was telling, we need one more document over passport.

Thanks

We gave one copy of each AP - not all the copies.
Just passport was enough to get my wife in. (Just in case, they say they accept a valid EAD as well)

-biker

chalam said:
Congrats.

Just out of curiosity, did they ask all the APs(I mean every time we get an AP we receive 3 copies)
For ID, is just passport enough. One of my friends was telling, we need one more document over passport.

Thanks

For ID, passport + DL are enough. But they take back EAD/APs for the purpose of destroying (not as photo ID). After stamping you don't need these documents anymore and as this documents are USCIS property, they are taking them back.

chalam said:
Hi pralay,

Thanks for the reply. But my wife does not have DL. Will EAD or AP serve the purpose? Or do I need to take her DL before going for stamping?

Normally passport is good enough. They only need to one form of photo ID. EAD card should work as photo ID too. No need to wait for getting a DL.
BTW (and unrelated to this issue), it's always better to have state ID in America. Most of the states including California DMV issues photo ID. If she does not have or need DL, she can apply for photo ID too.

Thanks again.

pralay said:
Normally passport is good enough. They only need to one form of photo ID. EAD card should work as photo ID too. No need to wait for getting a DL.
BTW (and unrelated to this issue), it's always better to have state ID in America. Most of the states including California DMV issues photo ID. If she does not have or need DL, she can apply for photo ID too.