Stamping experience at San Jose Service center 8/16/04

140_takes_4ever

Registered Users (C)
Received my approval letter in the mail on Saturday, and after having waiting 39 months for the damn thing, wasn't going to lose any more time. Was up at 4:00 am on Monday morning, and managed to get in line by 5:00 am. Office opened at 7:00 am, got inside the building and took a number at 7:40 am. Was the 20th person in the 'D' group (PP stamping), and had my passport stamped at 8:40 am. I was told that I would receive the card in 3 - 6 months.

Documents taken for stamping:
1. 2 passport photographs (from Costco)
2. Passport
3. I-94
4. 2-EAD's
5. 4-AP's.

Now for the long version and conclusions:
1. I was 46th in line at 5:00 am, stood for close to 3 hours, and sat for 1 hour. There weren't so many people behind me, I was probably at the midway mark. So I guess it makes sense to go a little later, get your sleep in, and reaching anytime before 6:00 am is good.
2. Though it is summer, it was slightly cold, nothing a light jacket couldn't manage.
3. If you aren't the first 10 people to arrive, it makes sense to get one of those camping chairs, (the light aluminum ones), the people who bought those chairs seemed a lot more comfortable than I did.
4. The rent-a-mob, seems to have a more American face these days than before, and they are slightly less rude, but very slightly.
5. As mentioned in countless other posts, you cannot take anything inside the building, other than papers. Food, water, weapons, camera's, laptop's, cell phones with camera's need to left outside.
6. There was this super efficient woman at counter #11 who was cranking out the 'D' tokens like no one's business. While there were many different categories, (C, I, H, etc.) none of the others had made it to a count of 6, before D reached 20. Offcourse having 4 counters for stamping must have definitely helped, but this one woman did the bulk of the work.
7. While waiting for my paper work to be accepted, I sneaked a peek at the computer screen they were typing at, the database seems to be pretty darn fast, she typed my A# and less than a second later, my case was pulled up.
8. Another interesting observation was that the moment the IIO calls a number a little timer goes off that actually measures how long each clerk takes to deal with a case. I am sure this is used for training and bonus purposes, in which case, it will do wonders for the INS efficiency.
9. The stamp is definitely very anti-climatic, can't believe we have spent years waiting for this little unimpressive stamp. I am hoping the card will make up for it, but I doubt that.
10. Oh and you need to be on the look out for the CIS board, because otherwise you will just miss it in the dark and have to make a U turn.

140_takes_4ever,
silly question:
does costco shoot passport photographs???
How much disd costco charge for passport photographs...

mango_pickle,

No! There were no kids at 5:00 am. Though the woman before me and the one behind me were eventually joined by kids (3 yrs -8yr olds), right before they entered the building.

I think their spouses were sitting in their cars with the kids. And as soon as the flag hoisting ceremony was complete, the women called their respective spouses and soon it was raining kids, of all ages, sizes and ethnicity.

Now that you mention it there were large number of kids who showed up in the line while I was waiting to get in (after the hoisting), pushing me back in line a bit.

Note: The rent-a-mob nazi, made it clear that you cannot take food, water, etc. inside, they even made the kids take off their jackets before entering the building. But they did say that you could take formula and milk for babies.

peace_of_mind said:
140_takes_4ever,
silly question:
does costco shoot passport photographs???
How much disd costco charge for passport photographs...
Not silly at all, I asked rk4gc the same question yesterday! :)

The answer is yes Costco does shoot passport photographs, they charged me 5$ for two. And the IIO had absolutely no objection taking the photographs when I handed them over.

She took the photographs, put them in a plastic ziplock and stapled it to my approval notice. Same with my EAD's, and I94.

1. Agreed, 140, the stamp is unimpressive :D But you probably already knew that. (but, I still don't understand the arrogance that makes them not identify WHICH authority is putting the stamp on your passport)

2. The new green cards DO kinda make up for it, if you look carefully at the holograms at diffrent angles. Those who have 'em will know what I mean...

Niladri,

I am impressed by your observation. :) I just had a look at the stamp again, and you are right, there is no mention of the authority. That is so funny. But I guess the people who know, will know, that is the assumption they are working on.

After getting the stamp, I did think about how tacky it looked, but did not try to analyze it further. Thanks for that bit of trivia, will make for an interesting dinner time anecdote. :)

Of course they don't mention the authority! The name changes so often! INS --> BCIS --> USCIS -->FCUKCIS

Thanks for the detailed stamping experience 140_takes_4ever. I am planning to go the San Jose center tomorrow.

Thanks for the link 140_takes_4ever & your assistance. Could pl post your thought on my case.
Here are the details:
ND11/02
2EAD's & AP's
I have my approval on Aug 02 online recieved the later on Aug'09.
Now online status shows RFE for both me & my wife.
I want to try get my passport stamped as I have my approval letter with me.

Don't even think about it. Go for your stamping. Once you receive the letter, that means your case is clean. The RFE could be a system glitch, or not, but with approval notice in hand you should go ASAP. I would suggest tomorrow morning. Don't forget the 2 passport pictures.

Thanks for the advice 140_takes_4ever. I really hope its a system glitch. I will go tomorrow morning & try to get my pp stamped.

Can't people in SJ use the InfoPass to get their passport stamped?
It seems that you can at least make an appointment for other reasons, not specifically for passport stamping though.

Please select type of appointment.

You need an immigration form.
You need to replace your Alien Resident Card.
You need to file an application for yourself or someone else.
You have a question about your case.
It has been more than 90 days since you filed an I-765 and you did not receive an Employment Authorization Card.
You wish to speak to an immigration officer.

Can we use the last option for the stamping?

I just have my ( and my wives') last AP and EAD. I plan to go for stamping tomorrow. Do you think it will be a problem, if I dont carry my other APs and EAD's (I have misplaced them somewhere)

hjeong1 said:
Can't people in SJ use the InfoPass to get their passport stamped?
Only AILA affiliated lawyers can get appointments at SJ using infopass. And the appointments are usually 10 days in advance. I would rather go for stamping the very next day, I lose some sleep, but having lost WAY more sleep over the years for this, one extra night for a good cause is not a bad idea.

My theory on INS is to NEVER keep anything pending on my side. If they as for any document, information, etc. give it with absolutely no lag on your part. Doing so is akin to cutting your own throat since they are going to delay it on their part anyway.

jumbojumbo said:
I just have my ( and my wives') last AP and EAD. I plan to go for stamping tomorrow. Do you think it will be a problem, if I dont carry my other APs and EAD's (I have misplaced them somewhere)
Well they do ask for *all*, but if you don't have it then nothing you can do. My experience was that they don't even bother to look at what you hand over. The woman behind the counter just took everything put them in individual envelopes and stapled them to my approval notice. She dint even read my approval notice, just asked me whether it was for me, pulled up my file using my A# and bham bham bham went her stamp. click click (staple) and I was out of there.

140_takes_4ever said:
Only AILA affiliated lawyers can get appointments at SJ using infopass. And the appointments are usually 10 days in advance.

Is that so? I could make an appointment myself through InfoPass after selecting "You wish to speak to an immigration officer." option with my zipcode in San Jose. The final confirmation page showed me the address of the office on Monterey Rd. And the appointment was scheduled on 8/23 1:45PM. So, this is not for passport stamping and they won't allow me in with this appointment?

And will they accept digital photos printed on top quality photo paper?
People usually cannot tell the difference between the one I print and the regular photo unless they look at it very carefully.