stamping experience at Arlington, VA

wasim26

Registered Users (C)
My wife and I got our passports stamped at the Arlington office today. We got there at 7:30 AM and found a long line outside as there were lot of guys doin' the last moment registration. Anyhoo, we got inside within 45 minutes and went to Room # 210. Stood in the long line to get a ticket which took us another half an hour. Had to wait there after getting a ticket till 9:45 AM when our turn came.

The lady at the booth seemed to be way too cool. She took the courtesy copy, two photos, EAD and I-94 from us, all kept in one envelope. She started filling out form I-89 for both of us as soon as we got there, and had us sign and fingerprint on that form. Then she stamped our passport and said "You can work and travel using this stamp (temporary proof of permanent residency) which is good for one year. If you do not receive the original card within a year, you have to get back to re-stamp. Usually, it takes six months, but it might take more. When you go back home, put a name-sticker inside your mailbox so that the postman knows who he is delivering it to." That was it. We didn't have to ask any questions. She summarized it pretty good. We left the INS office by 10:00 am.

Thank you for sharing!

Thank you for sharing, and glad you didn't wait the last minutes to take your photo! :D
Did you do anything to you SSN yet? What is the procedure for that?

courtesy letter

i took the courtesy letter and the INS officer took it. Now, I only have a copy of the letter. Regarding the original one, I sent an email to my lawyer. But since my case got approved, she hasn't contacted me other than sending congratulations.

fatbean: thanks for your suggestion regarding the photo. we went to Eckerd yesterday and got it done for 8 $ for two copies. No, i haven't done anything regarding the SSN yet. I'll probably wait till i get the actual card in had and then go to the SS office to change the SS card. After all, you can work here in USA without any further authorization from INS from this point on.