stamp renewal problem

rs2003

Folks,
I'd like your input about what happens if my stamp expires and I haven't extended it (I'm still waiting for my plastic card). Any pointers to reliable info on this issue would be appreciated.

Background: I went to the Newark BCIS office since my stamp is expiring within the next few days. But the officer there didn't stamp my passport for a second year, since they couldn't find a record of my approval in their computer. It looks like they just check something similar to our phone/internet check (which still says that my case was transferred to the Newark local office 1.5 years ago). Apparently, a ppt stamp issued by the same office a year ago and point-of-entry stamps after travel abroad are not sufficient to prove my approval. Not to mention the fact that my wife (who was a dependent on my employment based appln) was approved the same day as me and got her plastic card a month after the interview.

Thanks in advance.

rs2003:

You should probably re-visit the INS office. Dont worry a lot bcoz not getting the restamping done does get make you out-of-status. The stamp is simply a proof that of your LPR status. Definitely get it done sooner coz it may an issue if you decide to do international travel or change jobs!

In short visit the local USCIS office one more time and also call the 800 number!

We have a similar situation. I recieved my Gc and My husband did not recieve it. We moved out of NJ. Our case is interviwed and stamped in newark office. Now the new local INS is refusing to stamp my husband's passport as they don't have his status as PR. They are just not accepting any facts to stamp. Pls keep us updated as to what ateps you took to deal with this.

That is the trouble if you push to get your passport stamped after everything gets cleared without receiving official approval notice letter first.

Better consult a lawyer

My case is similar. My I-485 was approved in March 2002. I got my passport stamped twice in 2002 and 2003 in Newark. This year, the same office refused to stamp my passport because they couldn't find my status as PR in their database.

The previous stamps as well as the I-485 approval notice plus the BCIS online case status showing approval were not enough to convince the agent. She said she's going to get my file from wherever it is stored and will contact me after that (1-3 months).

A lawyer friend suggested that I contact an immigration lawyer about this as soon as possible.

This seems like some big problem with the BCIS database.

update to stamp renewal problem

Folks,
I finally have a positive update to my story. Today, two months after I was turned away from stamping at Newark, I got my plastic card in the mail. About 3-4 weeks back I got a call from the Newark BCIS office saying that they had located my file and were able to confirm my approval. (I had insisted on leaving my phone # with the officer so that I can get an update). They also started the plastic card process. I got a welcome notice from VSC in the mail yesterday, and my plastic card followed today.
Good luck to others who are in the same situation.
Thanks.

please visit local office again !

Hi,

I went to BCIS again last Friday and the officer there gave me another stamp (extension of the I-551), every thing is ok now.

Yesterday, I went to DMV and renew my drivelicense, digital card is new in NJ.

About your situation, I suggested you visit the BCIS office proactively, and find out what happened to your case, usually due the security check. Once it is clarified by FBI, and everything should be ok with you.

Thanks a lot,

EL Maozi,

Hi Folks:

Seeing these posts really worried me. I had interview and was stamp in Feb.
I also moved. I didn't receive any letter and my case status online change back to application(485) received on April 04.

Do you think i should get an approval notice or is it ok.
I am worried for restamping and also planning to travel abroad.

Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

B2004

Do not worry, not everyone is so luckily to have so many problems as I did.

Wait 6 months - 8 months, then decide.

Good luck!

El Maozi

Thanks El Maozi:

I was thinking,
1)When you had your passport stamp.
2)Normally how long is it take (to have card).
3)Do you think travelling abroad will be fine.

Thanks in advance.
b2004