SSn Update after the PP stamp ??

gsk

Registered Users (C)
Do we need to get the Social Security Card Updated after the PP stamped ?
    I heard in other forum that we need to do it to remove the restriction on the
    card that says "Emplyment with INS authorization" .

Appreciate any input..

Thanks
    gsk.

No Title

I have the same question, but what exactly do we need to update on SS card? Is our record with SS office, name, else?
Anyone, pl. provide some input! Thanks!

No Title

You need to go to SSN office, your local that is do change the card. I think it should be as easy as showing your GC on your passport to let them know that the restriction needs to be removed.

When I did it back in 92, all I had to tell the SSN officer was that I was not able to get Campus jobs, since I had the restriction on my SSN. But back then SSN was mostly given without that restriction.

No Title

Detroit_Waiter, in fact, I got SS card back in \'92 and I don\'t see any \'employment restriction\' on my card. I got it when I was in school on F1.
1) So, my question is, whether or not restriction is stated on the card, everyone should need to update the record with SS office. How can I check the restriction status on my card, pl. help!
2) My wife got SS card w/EAD, so I don\'t think that she got any restriction stamped/printed on her card.

Please reply with your input, thanks again!

No Title

I think it depends on the state. Some states issue SS Card with restrictions and some states like Florida donot

No Title

I have seen somebody (Spouse of a friend) who got her SSN after getting her GC stamp in PP. But still SSN card says "INS athouarization is required for employment". she got a job in retail sector and had to supply a copy of her PP stamp. I do not know this remain the same after getting the plastic card.

No Title

Here is the deal during 90-93 or so I think most got cards without risttriction on them and few who got them like me, when to SSN and office and told them we were not able to get employment on campus with that restriction. So they gave me a new card with no restriction on it.

Now the deal is when you work your SSN is used by IRS for taxing purposes by employer etc. But as far as I know there is not direct checking by SSN offices against IRS tax filing. Unless you tell them or someone tells them they normally wouldn\'t know that you are getting paid.

So dont worry if you dont have a restriction on your card. As long as you are paying taxes and filing tax returns you are safe. Usually there is no problem at all until the Immigration filing , even then only if INS finds out somehow. That is rare. I worked for checks and several of my friends did and none of them had any problems, and got GC fine. The main thing is you pay the taxes and file tax returns. Because you are contributing to Government afterall. And ultimately thats all IRS or the government cares about. But take it for it is, just my experience and opinion.

No Title

Thanks Detroit_Waiter for your detail info. Do you know how MICHIGAN state issues SS cards, because you seem to be Detroiter. Please reply, if you know anything, thanks.

No Title

Hallo! could someone answer or share some thoughts about SS info. update based on questions above. Thanks!