SSN Problem

Hi,

My wife applied for SSN 4 weeks back after receiving EAD Card. Local office of SSN didn\'t issued any letter as they said our database is not updated and they said first we\'ll verify with INS and it\'ll take two months for that and if everything is fine then we\'ll issue letter and SSN.

They also gave us 1-800# to check for SSN, but when we try to check they say, It\'s no where in the system which tells, you have applied SSN ,please check with your local SSN office.

Please help what to do....

Thanx

We have the exact same problem........I have a feeling someone is sitting on the applications....I plan to go into my local office again to inquire...

3 months for SSN

I tried couple of times, It\'s no USE...

Same answer everytime....(It\'ll take min 8 weeks, may take more.. I know you need SSN for everything but we cannot help you !!!!!)

Just a suggestion...

Next time when you go to the local SSN office tell them that your spouse has a job offer in the hand and needs the SSN for tax witholding. This might work, give it a try.. If your spouse really has a job offer take the offer letter with you...

Didn\'t you get a receipt for applying SSN?

Most of the companies will accept the receipt to start on a job....Once you get it you\'ll have to update your HR with the number....You can even open bank accounts with that receipt....

NO Receipt

They didn\'t gave any receipt !!!

Once it is verified then only they\'ll issue receipt and number, I told them about Job/Driving Licence but they said we know you\'ll need SSN for everything but we cannot issue SSN unless INS verify and for that it\'ll take min 8 weeks.

Q#$@!%$#

No Title

hi, i also applied for the ssn 6 weeks back on my EAD card. first they told it might take 6 weeks to get the no and they did not give any receipt.but i called them multiple times and told that i need the no for job opportunities. they couldn\'t help me first 2 times as the application hasn\'t been processed at ins but gave me SSN no before i recieved the card 2 weeks after i applied. Some times they cannot find a match if the firstname or lastname is misspelt.so, ask them to check on mothers firstname and maiden name also.this happened to me. i had to reapply again for corrected name when they gave a receipt and recieved the corrected SSN just yesterday one week after i applied.

it took about 3 months in our case

my wife applied for SSN 1st week of Dec. we went there twice before March to check the status - there were still waiting to hear back from INS (?).

Two weeks ago, she received a receipt in mail.
One week ago, she received her SSN in mail.

my wife applied for SSN two days ago and got the receipt....

Was also told she will receive the card in two weeks....

SSN applied with EAD and received in a week

We applied with my wifes EAD and got the receipt the same day and SSN card in the mail in a weeks time. Hope this helps. Thanks!

SSN after EAD

Hi guys.

My wife had a similar problem with SSN after EAD.

When she initially applied, the SSN did not give any receipt as for EAD the status will not show up as it will for H1 or other eligible categories.

So the SSN Local office will send an enquiry to INS to get the status for the WAC# and other details on the EAD. Once they get a feedback they will assign a SSN.

it will normally take a couple of weeks.

Take it easy as you will get the SSN within 4 weeks.

call 1800 7721213. Some times they will say that they cannot even find you as an applicant...but thats some system glitch i guess, cos i went through the same kind of situation.

Your local office holds the key...so keep in touch with them

All the best