SSN Not updated even after 4 months

naani

Registered Users (C)
Hello All

I visited the SSN office a day after my citizenship oath and submitted the application. The officer verified my naturalization certificate. I had changed my name during the naturalization. The officer told it takes 4 weeks to update the SSN and he took my old SSN and gave a paper Saying that it takes 4 weeks and also reflected my new name.

My company checked SSN office after 3 months and found out the SSN is not updated with my new name. I visited SSN office after 4 months of application submission; the same officer told still it is pending!! I called DHS with Citizen Line Operator Number: 202-282-8000. They just do not know the SSN updating time frame!!

Guys, can any one guide me in proper direction?

Thanks
Naani

I had a chat with rep on SS.GOV 1-800 # . They told me that when we apply for update SSN with citizenship info , they send it to DHS for verification. The time taken is dependent upon how much time it takes for DHS to respond back to them. As per them 6-8 weeks is normal. They also said SS office should have all the information about where it is stuck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in the same boat. They have took away my old SSN. When I called in, they cant even find my application on the system. They had to physically search for the application. They said, they are waiting for DHS to update their records. Its been only 2 weeks though but most of my freinds who applied else where got their's in under 2 weeks. Not sure why it is taking this long. Any one applied in and around MSP?

I think it is better to not go to social security office right away. In my case I went once I had my passport in hand. I didn't change my card so I am not 100% sure that they updated the record properly, but I think in general people seem to have a better experience if they let a few weeks go before going to SS office to do an update. Anyway, 4 months seems excessive. It might pay to make a new application. I think the problem might be that when you go very early they query USCIS and your status cannot be read at the time or something similar, then the application sits gathering dust and there is nothing to wake it up again and cause to query your status with USCIS again.

PS: I'm thinking about dropping by the SS office and make sure they updated my citizenship status. I'm pretty sure they did, but now I'm curious.

My 2 cents

You don't need to goto SS office to check whether your Citizenship Status was uodated , Just call SS's 1-800# and they should be able to tell you. I called and they told me "not updated".

My status was updated 1 week after I submitted the application, but my wife's status was updated on the same day. We both attended the same oath and then immediately went to the SSA. The only difference was that we talked to two different SSA clerks. It seems that the DHS is operating on random dates when it comes to replying to other agencies about one's immigration status :rolleyes:

You need to visit the SS office with your naturalization certificate or passport (and name change document if you have changed your name) in order to get your citizenship status properly updated in the SS database. It seems like the OP visited the SSA only to check on the status, not to actually tell them to update the status using the naturalization certificate or passport as proof.

I have the same problem, When I went to update my ssn the staff in the office gave me a choice they said do not apply at this time for status change wait for a week or two for DHS to update the record otherwise i might will have to wait for a long time. I decided to file an appilcation anyways because the wait time in the lobby is always hour or two.