SSN card change by pp stamped

cc7211

Registered Users (C)
SSN card change by pp stamp

Hi, just sharing my experience to those who are in the same boat. :)

I have my I485 case approved and passport stamped at the end of March 2005. While I am still waiting for the physical plastic card , I went to my local SSN office today to ask for the new replacement of my old SSN card.

After I took a number and fill out the SSN card application form, they call my number then I approach the window. A lady over there confirm my intension and look at my passport stamp for a couple seconds, and she told me to have a seat and somebody will call me in to have a interview/talk. 30 minutes later , another polite lady call my name and lead me to her desk.After explaining my status and what I need, I show her my passport stamp and my approval letter from USCIS.

She take a minute to check the document and told me that there is a possibility their system was not updated yet because my case is still very "fresh" , but she will go ahead and have a check. After she enter my name or A# into their system, she told me that their record has been updated and she can apply a new card for me know. The rest of the procedure is simple, she did the necessary paper work and give me a receipt, told me that the card will arrive in two weeks.

That's my story in SSN office today. In my experience, they should not refuse your request just because you only have I-551 tmp passport stamp , but they may turn you down if they cannot find your record updated in their system. So you may want to wait for a week or two after your approval and let their system catching up, you should not have problem to update your SSN card even you don't have physical green card. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
True,I got my PP stamped on Mar 2 2005 still not recd my Card yet..
But my Wife recd the card on Mar 25 who got it stamped on the same day at the same counter.

Now I have no clue what to do...

Please advise..

CO -- No
CM -NO
CR - NO

No need to worry! Your wife receive her card in a very , very amazing short time and you are still in the normal range. But you can call 1800# to make an inquiry if you really have doubt on this issue.

May I ask one question ? Where you guys have your passport stamped ? It's really quick. :)

bhadradee said:
True,I got my PP stamped on Mar 2 2005 still not recd my Card yet..
But my Wife recd the card on Mar 25 who got it stamped on the same day at the same counter.

Now I have no clue what to do...

Please advise..

CO -- No
CM -NO
CR - NO

Guys,

Recently I and my wife got my GC approved and we also got plastic cards. I still have SSN card with "valid with INS authorization only", which I applied 7 years back when I came on F-1.

Now, If I go to SSN office to update my status:
Will I get new card with same SS# or new SS#? If I get card with new SS#, then does it impact our old records everywhere (like bank acct#, insurance etc.)?

I would appreciate if somebody clarifies me.

You will have the same SSN number for the rest of this present life (some excpetions). You will get a new SSN card with the same number without any restrictions

When filling out the SSN application , you can keep the old one if you write down your old number. In my case, I prefer not to change the SSN cauz I don't wanna go through all those new-number-update-trouble again.

gcfever1 said:
Guys,

Recently I and my wife got my GC approved and we also got plastic cards. I still have SSN card with "valid with INS authorization only", which I applied 7 years back when I came on F-1.

Now, If I go to SSN office to update my status:
Will I get new card with same SS# or new SS#? If I get card with new SS#, then does it impact our old records everywhere (like bank acct#, insurance etc.)?

I would appreciate if somebody clarifies me.

Just out of curiosity, what are the advantages of getting this done. Or rather put it differently, what are the disadvantages of not changing the SSN card?

cc7211 said:
Hi, just sharing my experience to those who are in the same boat. :)

I have my I485 case approved and passport stamped at the end of March 2005. While I am still waiting for the physical plastic card , I went to my local SSN office today to ask for the new replacement of my old SSN card.

After I took a number and fill out the SSN card application form, they call my number then I approach the window. A lady over there confirm my intension and look at my passport stamp for a couple seconds, and she told me to have a seat and somebody will call me in to have a interview/talk. 30 minutes later , another polite lady call my name and lead me to her desk.After explaining my status and what I need, I show her my passport stamp and my approval letter from USCIS.

She take a minute to check the document and told me that there is a possibility their system was not updated yet because my case is still very "fresh" , but she will go ahead and have a check. After she enter my name or A# into their system, she told me that their record has been updated and she can apply a new card for me know. The rest of the procedure is simple, she did the necessary paper work and give me a receipt, told me that the card will arrive in two weeks.

That's my story in SSN office today. In my experience, they should not refuse your request just because you only have I-551 tmp passport stamp , but they may turn you down if they cannot find your record updated in their system. So you may want to wait for a week or two after your approval and let their system catching up, you should not have problem to update your SSN card even you don't have physical green card. :)

Did they took your old SSN card?

Today, I applied for new replacement card.
She took my old card and said that "Replacement card will be mailed within 2 weeks with same old SSN number"

Is this standard that we have to surrender old SSN card?

Thanks
Mike

mike_inus said:
Did they took your old SSN card?

Today, I applied for new replacement card.
She took my old card and said that "Replacement card will be mailed within 2 weeks with same old SSN number"

Is this standard that we have to surrender old SSN card?

Thanks
Mike

It depends upon SSA clerks. Remember on back of the card,
it clearly say the card is property of SSA so that they can
demand you turn it back. If you want to keep it, you
should leave it home and tell the SSA you forgot to
bring it. The risk is that they can ask you to bring it
so you waste one trip.

By the way, what is that E######### number on
back of the card?

AmericanWannabe said:
It depends upon SSA clerks. Remember on back of the card,
it clearly say the card is property of SSA so that they can
demand you turn it back. If you want to keep it, you
should leave it home and tell the SSA you forgot to
bring it. The risk is that they can ask you to bring it
so you waste one trip.

By the way, what is that E######### number on
back of the card?

I have already return my SSN card.
Whats is E########## number?

mike_inus said:
I have already return my SSN card.
Whats is E########## number?

It is printed on the lower right corner in red on the back of my card.
I believe it is the issue number. My wife and I got first SSN cards
at complete different time an dplaces but we applied for replacement
cards together so that our E number are consecutives.

AmericanWannabe said:
It is printed on the lower right corner in red on the back of my card.
I believe it is the issue number. My wife and I got first SSN cards
at complete different time an dplaces but we applied for replacement
cards together so that our E number are consecutives.

Thanks AmericanWannabe

Well, I don't know my E number as I have already return my SSN card
Also I did not have copy of my old SSN.

Mike