SSN after TN Visa

jjjames

Can someone please help me with this issue, I will be applying for my TN status next week from Calgary airport. I can do work from home until September, now question is do I have to go to the city where I am supposed to be working after September or I can go to any city in States, get my SSN and come back to Canada.

Please advise!

Thanks

You can go anywhere. When you say you are going to calgary airport, you are meaning that your are FLYING OUT of calgary. You can;t get TN at the airport without leaving Canada.
I suppose you could apply in the city that flight will land in.

No real urgency to get it since you are not working in US (same for TN, btw).

You can go anywhere. When you say you are going to calgary airport, you are meaning that your are FLYING OUT of calgary. You can;t get TN at the airport without leaving Canada.
I suppose you could apply in the city that flight will land in.

No real urgency to get it since you are not working in US (same for TN, btw).
Thanks for replying Nelsona, really appreciate it.

I will check with my HR if they can pay me to local bank account and I will get TN and/or SSN later.

Hypothetical question for you if you don't mind answering, is it possible for me to buy a ticket from Calgary Airport and don't actually take a flight after dealing with customs. This way I can get a TN status and wont even have to leave the Canada.

Hi,
Great forum, so my question is that if I get TN visa from the land border...don't they have facilities there to apply for SSN right away ?
Can the US employer pay Canadian Citizen in US funds into the employees US account (TD Bank) without SSN.

I think you have to go to an SSA office to get an SSN (or these days, mail the materials into the SSA office). You can legally start work before you get the SSN, as long as you've applied for it. I'm not sure whether your company can pay you in the meantime; I have heard stories of companies that hold the pay until you get your SSN because their system requires the SSN in order to run payroll.

Not sure how they did it, but my employer was able to pay me be before I obtained by SSN.
This was back in 2015. I applied in person at SSA office for SSN and it took a few weeks to arrive by mail.

Wanted to give an update to everyone, I got my TN visa from Calgary and stayed in Canada. After 2 weeks, I went to North Dakota by road to get my SSN and came back to Canada within 4 hours and didn't have to any quarantine or any Covid-19 test...

So how long did it take to get the SSN at the office in US. Do you need to book an appointment or was it just walk in ?

So how long did it take to get the SSN at the office in US. Do you need to book an appointment or was it just walk in ?
I haven't received my SSN in mail yet, I am expecting to get in next few days... You need to call in to get the appointment, no walk in available at the moment...

Hello JJJames, Great news, Did you get your TN at Calgary airport without flying or Montana boarder (Sweetgrass (Montana) ? Please share.