SSN -- 10 Days "Processing" / "Validation" Time Required?

agoodfella

Registered Users (C)
My wife just got back from our local SS office a bit miffed. We were excited having received her Green Card on Friday afternoon.

We went to the Social Security office this morning only to be told by this rather obnoxious lady (I'm sorry, but she was down right rude and not just to us but to every person - everyone in the waiting room was shocked how rude she was) at any rate, we were told that there is a 10 day-ish period after the Green Card is received which needs to be processed into Social Security's system to show her number to be "validated".

I'm just wondering if this is technically correct. We were under the impression that once she receives her Green Card that she can apply for a SSN right away.

Can anyone shed some more light here?

Many thanks in advance.

My wife just got back from our local SS office a bit miffed. We were excited having received her Green Card on Friday afternoon.

We went to the Social Security office this morning only to be told by this rather obnoxious lady (I'm sorry, but she was down right rude and not just to us but to every person - everyone in the waiting room was shocked how rude she was) at any rate, we were told that there is a 10 day-ish period after the Green Card is received which needs to be processed into Social Security's system to show her number to be "validated".

I'm just wondering if this is technically correct. We were under the impression that once she receives her Green Card that she can apply for a SSN right away.

Can anyone shed some more light here?

Many thanks in advance.

The lady at SSN ofiice is correct. My wife & I went 2 weeks after GC and we had no problem. We applied for our cards and got them in less than 2 weeks. It does take few days for the system info to get updated.

Yes..... You have to wait for 10 days to get the system updated. I when went with EAD card and they could not validated my card. She was a nice old lady and she took her time & created special form and asked me to sign and she said she will take care of it.........:)

I will follow up next week.

Do we need to inform the 'Social Security Office' about our new immigrant status and get the conditions deleted from the 'Social Security Card' . Mine says 'VAlid for work only with DHS authorization' .

It is not a requirement, but it is better to have.. Removing the condition on the SSN Card is helpful. For eg, you don't have to show your GC to prove your status here, just the SSN would do.

Do we need to inform the 'Social Security Office' about our new immigrant status and get the conditions deleted from the 'Social Security Card' . Mine says 'VAlid for work only with DHS authorization' .

confused

i need help here.iim a little confused.i have an immigrant visa which i got thru the dv lottery n just came into the US a few days ago.everything went well at the port of of entry which was JFK n the very next day i went to my local SS office.the lady who attended to me looked at my passport n said i wasnt qualified to work which kind of confused me cos an IV visa makes u a permanent resident n u can live n work for as long as u like.am i missing something here cos she also said something about a 1-9 form that i didnt have.i dnt know if i should have waited for my green card to arrive b4 filing for a SSN or if i did the right thing n filed for my SSN immediately i got to the US or if i should have waited until i got my green card?.
after everything the lady collected everything n entered my data into the computer n told me i would get me SSN in two wks n i'm also worried cos i dnt know if its going to come with restrictions which it shouldnt
right now im a little confused about the whole thing n would someone pls tell me what is going on,it would be highly appreciated.

The SS lady didn't know what she was talking about. Many of them aren't familiar with immigration rules.

Anyway, even if you get a card with "not valid for employment" on it, your I-551 passport stamp is still sufficient proof to show to employers. Then you can go back to change the SS card at another date.

your visa is your green card valid for 1 year , no worry , and your ssn card must show no restriction to work , i think when u mention it when u file the application form SS-5 for ssa .