SS card question

gcdayday

Registered Users (C)
Hello all,

I got my passport stamped for temp GC (I-551 stamp), but when I went to the SS office to get my SS card updated they are telling me that they still see me as a temporary worker. So, they will have to send a verification to the INS on my PR and then issue me a new SS card.

My wife, who also got her passport stamped on the same day as me, shows up as permanent resident. They told her that she will get her SS card in two weeks.

Anyone else experienced this? How long does it take for SS office to get the verification?

Thanks

:)

I waited for 4 weeks before applying for the SS card change and it was fine for me and my wife. My lawyer said to wait as he said that sometimes the system does not update quickly. This seems to be your case.

I had the same issue, and after verification SS send me new card with "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH INS VERIFICATION" so the next day I went to SSN Office and applied again and this time the lady told me that I will get new card with removed restriction with in 2 weeks. Let me see.

Question for you guys

What is the issue with the SS card. I think my SS card says 'Empployment with INS authotization'. I got my plastic card couple of months ago. What are you suppose to do? Why do you have to get a new SS card?

Thanks for your responses.

You don't

It is not necessary to apply for a new SS card after you get your approval.

it is impt,and relevant I feel

to apply for a new SS card (and NOT a new number),as the new card will simply have the name of the person,and no "valid with ins authorization"
It also updates the SS system to indicate ur resident status.
I feel you should do that..it makes a difference when applying for a loan,buying a house,etc.
We went the very same day as r ppt stamping for r SS card application,and dint have a problem.
Cheers
Jack

I agree with JH's post. The other important reasone to update your status with SS is for your employment and other benifits, in case you are laid off. Sometimes it does happen that SS cannot see the updated stauts of a person on there screen. I would wait for a couple of weeks and check with SS again.:)

I had the same problem

I had the same problem. My status was not updated but my wife and son are permanent resident. They told me they are sending it to INS for status check.
Havn't heard back. 3 Weeks. My wife got updated ss card in two weeks.

I went to Cleveland, OH for passport stamping. Can you tell me your location.

gccheck: I went to the Chicago office. The SS office told me that they check their system for 10 days, if it is not updated then they send it to INS for verification and it usually takes about a month for them to verify. So, I am guessing it will take atleast 40 to 50 days for the entire process.

I will call the SS office in two weeks to get updates.

Goodluck!

one more reason

I wanted to mention another major reason for getting the SS card changed. When you start a new employment, the employer asks you to fill out form I-9, which is employment eligibility verification form. You have to submit two pieces of ID that prove that you are eligible for employment.

If you have this updated SS card, you can use this and your drivers license to get the employment. You don't have to show your green card to the employer.

Here is the form, I am sure you all have filled it out at one point or the other, look at the list of acceptable docs (page 3) it clearly states that the SS card should not have INS note on it.

http://www.princeton.edu/pr/pub/se/pdf/I-9.pdf

Last edited by a moderator: