Spouse\'s application for SSN with the name change, while waiting for 485 approval

485_MD_10022001

Registered Users (C)
I got married about 6 months back. By the time I got married, my I-140 was done and was ready to apply for 485. Before the marriage my wife applied for the passport with the maiden name, and got it approved. After the marriage, my wife along with me applied for 485, but still used her maiden name. She used the same name for Driver\'s license too. Now we got our EADs, and are also done with finger prints and waiting for the final approval. She has all her educational records with her maiden name. Now we want her last name to be changed to my family name. We are planning to apply for her SSN sometime soon, and would like to use my family name as her lastname. Is this the right time to start changing her last name. How is it going to affect her GC process. Please let me know your views.

more info.

my wife got her EAD with the maiden name on it. Is it possible to get SSN card with a different name(with my last name as her last name)?

you might be better off letting her keep her name for now

You can always change it after the green card is true

Oops Incomplete

Its not as simple as applying for SSN with new name. If some records are already established with maiden name, you\'re better off waiting for GC(with maiden name), once you have got GC, go to court and get her name changed. Once its official, you can get all the other documents changed at your own pace. Thats what I\'m gonna do.
jsram

Thanks guys.

Looking at your responses, I feel we will be better off applying for SSN with the maiden name for now. Thanks for all your responses.