Spouse H1B

sa9691

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I have two years left in my H1B. Recently my wife got an offer and switched to H1B.
Now my question is,
How long she can work in her H1B? Because, one of my friend told me that when my 6 year period is over, my wife can not work in her H1B. In other words, she is allowed to work for another two more years(since I have just two years left in my H1b). Is this true? Can anybody throw some light?

Thanks!

Jim,

Thanks for your response. I couldn't understand what do you mean? Do you mean, she can work for 6 years regardless of my H1b period? Could you please help me to understand this?

Thanks

All time in H status counts toward the 6 year limit means

She can work for another 2 year.
Period she was in H4 also counts in her 6 year limit

Thanks, gime!

Does her H1B period(6 years) anyway related to my H1b starting date?

Because, I have 2 years left in my H1b period. My wife was on H4 for almost a year before switching to H1B. She is on H1B for the last one year. That means, she can work for another 4 years regardless of my H1b period, right.

Originally posted by sa9691
Thanks, gime!

Does her H1B period(6 years) anyway related to my H1b starting date?

Because, I have 2 years left in my H1b period. My wife was on H4 for almost a year before switching to H1B. She is on H1B for the last one year. That means, she can work for another 4 years regardless of my H1b period, right.

Your wife can stay in H status ( H1 AND H4) for a total period of 6 years. If she has already spent 3 years on H1/H4, she will have 3 more years left , on H4 or H1. Yo do not say for how long your wife was on H4 before she switched to H1.