• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Sponsor's Document Clarification !!!

I am a married person with a 7 years old daughter. I don't have any asset or money for providing proof of support for three (3) of us. So, I am trying to get "Affidavit of Support" from my friend who is a USA citizen.
My questions are:
1) Form I-134, item 11 - Which box my sponsor should select, intend or do not intend?
2) If my sponsor select intend, he needs to indicate the exact nature and duration of the contributions. So, I suggest him to write followings:
"I will provide them airline ticket cost to come to USA and also help them until they get a better job to maintain their essential requirements (like lodging, boarding, food, etc.)."
a) Is this statement ok?
b) Is this statement will make any problem for my sponsor in future?
c) Also somebody advised, just select the box before intend and leave those line blank. Can my sponsor do like that?
d) Please provide your best answer, which will help me to create a good "Affidavit of Support" document and also there will be no problem for my sponsor in future.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a married person with a 7 years old daughter. I don't have any asset or money for providing proof of support for three (3) of us. So, I am trying to get "Affidavit of Support" from my friend who is a USA citizen.
My questions are:
1) Form I-134, item 11 - Which box my sponsor should select, intend or do not intend?
2) If my sponsor select intend, he needs to indicate the exact nature and duration of the contributions. So, I suggest him to write followings:
"I will provide them airline ticket cost to come to USA and also help them until they get a better job to maintain their essential requirements (like lodging, boarding, food, etc.)."
a) Is this statement ok?
b) Is this statement will make any problem for my sponsor in future?
c) Also somebody advised, just select the box before intend and leave those line blank. Can my sponsor do like that?
d) Please provide your best answer, which will help me to create a good "Affidavit of Support" document and also there will be no problem for my sponsor in future.
Thanks

1) Depends on your sponsor. No right choice here. If your sponsor is going to give a specific contribution, then he need to select "intend"

2)
a) yes, this is OK
b) Should not be a problem, unless your sponsor lied and did not provide you with those contributions.
c) Its better if he named the specific contribution
d) There should not be a problem with your sponsor in the future unless somehow you became a public charge in the U.S in the next 3 years and your sponsor couldn't support you, He/She could be charged with violation of the I-134 agreement.

When I asked my sponsor to fill in the I-134, She was very cautious in reading everything on this form. She was worried that it might caused legal problem with the U.S government in the future. Understand that any legal agreement with the U.S Government like this I-134 can't be taken lightly. Make sure that your sponsor understand that He/She will guarantee that you will not become a public charge for the next 3 years before He/She sign the paper. The last thing you want to do is to get your sponsor into legal problems with the U.S Government.

I hope this clear things out.

Thanks for specific reply

Hi Gerindo,
I appreciate you for replying my queries accurately and precisely.
I have a question regarding the quoted line below:
The last thing you want to do is to get your sponsor into legal problems with the U.S Government.
What did you want to say in this last line? Please make me clear.
Thanks

What did you want to say in this last line? Please make me clear.
Thanks

What I'm trying to say is that make sure that your sponsor understand what the I-134 meant for Him/Her before signing. Make sure He knows the responsibility of a sponsor and have that 3 years commitment of sponsoring you for at least the minimum poverty guideline.

He/She could get in to a legal problem if He sign the I-134 and before your first 3 years, He decided to not sponsor you anymore and you end up being a public charge.

For example, you came to the U.S, and after looking for jobs for 6 months, you couldn't find one. You're running out of money and you don't have any other choice but to ask your sponsor to give you some money so you can live in the U.S while keep looking for job. 6 months later, you still haven't found a job and your sponsor don't have the money to sponsor you any further. Your sponsor decided to back out from sponsoring you and you end up have to rely on government aid to live in the U.S. If this happened, your sponsor can get into a legal problem with the U.S Government because He/She suppose to guarantee that for the first 3 years you will not ask for U.S Government aid to live in the U.S.

I know my story sounds too harsh to be true, but it is a possible reality, especially in the U.S today, where jobs are very hard to get.