Sponsoring too may Visitor visas while I-485 is pending !! Need your opinion

flamboyant

Registered Users (C)
Hi Everyone,

Will there be any adverse effect on my & my wife's pending I-485, if I sponsor visitor visa for both my patents and in-laws at the same time ?
I have already sponsored visitor visa for my parents in the month of August, 2003 and my mother is here now. And now, out of compulsion I will have to sponsor my wife's parents as well to take care of their daughter during pregnency. Probably they will go to embassy on Jan 2004. So there will be hardly 6 months gap between these two sets of filings. These things very well goes into my history.

From my perspective, what I think is, this might lead to delay in getting our GC approved. They may not deny our I-485, but they may raise lot of questions for clarifications to know why I have sponsored 4 visitor visas within a short period of time. This might end up doing lot of security check that potentially delay getting my GC approval. As you can see, nowadays there are lot of immigrants getting into US stay illegally even after I-94 expires.

So I just want to avoid these delays as we have already waited so long to reach this stage. Well, I am not doing anything illegal, I am promptly following the rules of the land. But, I don't want to do anything that may delay our GC processing.

So thinking that in my mind, I am sending paperwork for mother-in-law only, to visit US to take care of my wife. My wife can't sponsor her parents as she is not working.

Please give me your opinion on this whether I am heading in the right direction.

thanks,
- Flam

I don't believe it can affect your GC/485 processing? You are inviting your parents/in-laws as tourist, and its nothing wrong or negative. In fact, it gives US more foriegn currency and also increases the GDP. Don't worry, I don't think sponsoring 4 visitor visas can possibly affect your GC. And as for the illegal overstaying etc, how does that matter, if your folks go by the rules?

Hi sk2002sk

Hi sk2002sk,

Thanks for your opinion. But, you have misunderstood my question to some extent. What I was thinking that it might delay our GC processing, but they will definitely not deny it, since too many visitor visa sponsoring at the same time might trigger extra scruitiny on our case that would delay in getting GC approval.

Don't you think so ?

thanks,
- Flam

Hi flamboyant,

I hope you are inviting your relative out of compassion, not compulsion :) but if its the latter you better stop before things get out of control.

As for the I-485, nobody is going to correlate your invitations with the I-485, so its impossible to affect your I-485 in any way. Even if you start extending the stay of your relatives on tourist visas, which would result in some paperwork submitted to INS bearing your name, the chance that this will be correlated with your I-485 is practically zero.
And even if its correlated there is nothing wrong in inviting your relatives.

How Does One "Sponsor" someone for a Visa?

What is the process? Thanks in advance.

Hi flamboyant,

I am also in same boat. Next year I am planning to sponsor my parents and In-Laws. However I don't see any problem with my I-485.

However could you provide me the list of documents to be sent to them.

Thanks in Advance.

it should not ne a problem

I had done the same last year and i got approved without any delays.

Bakra, here is what I sent for my parents :

1. Completed form I-134. This is a form of "Affidavit of Support" which I completed from here and sent to them.

2. My letter of sponsorship to them.

3. My invitation letter to them.

4. One letter from me to the US consulate requeting visas for my parents.

5. A set of my original bank statements

6. I had also sent copies of my last 3 years of tax returns.

7. COpy of my entire passport (old expired passport too). The office asked us to include all unstamped pages of the passport as well.

8. Copy of my social security card

9. Employment letter from my employer

My Parents had to prepare the following documents :

1. My birth certificate.
Their other children's birth certificates.

2. Visa application form. (The latest forms and the visa fees are posted on the US consulate website)

3. My dad's employment letter. (if still employed)

4. My parents property papers (if any)

After getting the visa :

1. They took health insurance. All insurance companies issue health insurance for people coming on visits to US.

2. I bought tickets from makemytrip.com. This site is in India and a little cheaper than some quotes I got here. Plus they courier the tickets free of charge anywhere in India.

Hope this helps,
Let me know if you want inivitation letter , sponsorship letter templates.

I also had a comment that visitor visas are issued by the US State Department, and INS which adjudicates I485s is a different body.

So as long as the people you sponsor do not break any immigration laws, everyone should be ok.

Thanks a lot jaykarandikar......

So far I thought only following docs are required (My employer and other friends who called their parents.)

- Passport xerox
- Letter from Company
- Pay stub
- Bank Statement
- Last w2
- Our Letter to consulate.

Nobody had mentioned about I134. But I will prepare as you told.

Please clarify this. I could not quite well understand this.
My Parents had to prepare the following documents :
1. My birth certificate.
Their other children's birth certificates.

Thanks once again.

> My Parents had to prepare the following documents :
> 1. My birth certificate.
> Their other children's birth certificates.

My parents were asked to have copies of my and my sibling's birth certificates. I should have said "make copies" instead of prepare. The local office in Pune asked them to have these documents.

They submitted all these documents at the local office. The local office then set an appointment date for them in Bombay. The interview in Bombay was very quick, and nothing specific was asked off them.

Thanks jaykarandikar.

I think if parents are more than 60 yrs of age normally they(Consulate) waive interview.

Why they were supposed to make/have Our Birth Certificate, if they already have copies of our Passport?
Any way I will ask them to have on.

It depends on the personal situation of the person. I.e if parents and siblings stay behind chances of approval are better

I guess things really change when the person becomes of legal age. Then one has to show a stable a job and lots of property being left behind which young people typically don't have. At that point leaving family behind doesn't make so much of a difference unless the person is already married.