sponsoring parents

nihil

I'm posting to see if there are any updated answers to question #15 of the FAQ.

My parents are in their native country and have a 5 yr multiple-entry tourist visa. If I file for a I-130 on their behalf, would they be able to travel back/forth to US on their tourist visa ?

thanks in advance.

My understanding is visitors visa will become void as soon as you apply for AOS. They will need AP to travel to india back and forth..

LP

nihil said:
I'm posting to see if there are any updated answers to question #15 of the FAQ.

My parents are in their native country and have a 5 yr multiple-entry tourist visa. If I file for a I-130 on their behalf, would they be able to travel back/forth to US on their tourist visa ?

thanks in advance.

It's a shady area. Some say its not OK to travel with pending I-130 using the non-immigrant visa as the POE officer might not let them into the country but some do not agree with this stmt. I'm one of them. I haven't seen any issues so far with the cases similar to yours entering the country.

Let's see what'll our immig community will say about this.

What lp said is right too but it does not apply to your case since yours is CP case.

lp said:
My understanding is visitors visa will become void as soon as you apply for AOS. They will need AP to travel to india back and forth..

LP
True, but he's not asking about applying for AOS, just for I-130. I was under the impression that the I-130 application is basically applying for a Visa number for the person to allow them to come here. I can't think of any good reason why they can't continue to visit why that application is processing, but as its a bit of a grey area it might be worthwhile consulting an attorney about this.