sponsoring parents for GC

indianh1b

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

Does anyone know how long it takes for parents of an US citizen to obtain permanent residency?

Since parents are classified as Immediate Relatives, they're not required to wait for an immigrant visa number after their I-130 petition is approved. They could directly adjust status while they're already here. I was wondering how long it is taking for I-130 and the adjust of status for parents of Indian origin or generally for their entire process.

Thanks,
indianh1b

Depends where you file it. The filling is done in your local office..

Dallas has Pilot program which gives GC in 75 days. Newark, NY, Atlanta etc all use NBC for initial processing which has increased the time.. Either way once the papers are filled together, then they are in ADjustment of Status category and can use EAD and AP etc...

Check the family forum for further details...

In case if you are from India

If you can go to India for two months and File I-130 at New Delhi there they can come with GC with 3 to 4 months of time. You will be able to file I-130 only after two months of stay in India and should file at New Delhi only.

If you file I-130 here It should be approved in around 6 months since BCIS has said they will take the only cases for which visa number is available. Then it will take CP route to get GC.

For immediate relatives there is no need of visa number.