sponsor lost her job a month before interview

fammic

Registered Users (C)
Interview in a month; Passport expired/ no EAD card/ affidavit sponsor lost her job

1. My wife is a US citizen, she was also my sponsor for affidavit, and she just lost one of her jobs during New Year (a month before our AOS interview). At the time of application we submitted everything, including her paychecks, her w-2 forms for the last 4 years which were perfect. Do we still have to bring paycheck stubs during interview?

2. My passport has expired

3. I haven’t received any EAD, but it was already approved according to USCIS online info. Surprisingly, I just received interview appointment letter for Feb 14th 2006

Last edited by a moderator:
fammic said:
My wife is a US citizen, she was also my sponsor for affidavit, she just lost one of her jobs during new year (a month before our AOS interview). At the time of application we submitted everything including her paychecks, her w-2 forms for the last 4 years which were perfect. Do we still have to bring paycheck stubs during interview?
You will need to fill out a new I 864. Since your wife does not have a job any more, you can be a joint sponsor and file I 864A. Take new I 864 with 0 income of her and fill out I 864A with your income. You should be fine.

GC approved without affidavit support and an expired passport

We came in 25min early, though our appointment was at 10am, they called as in at 10:05am, The officer was super nice, he was impressed with the way we were dressing, I had a classic van Hussein shirt black pressed pants with a tall London fog coat, so did my wife, but hear coat was brown. And the funny thing was that, my wife put on her ring in front of him, I almost passed out. She was putting on some lotion on her hands the same instant the officer came and called us in...He smiled and joked "you better have that on or we’ll fine him $10,000 or his coat” and we all lol.

He was really nice, he mentioned that he only needed my passport and both our ID's, asked me for criminal records I provided him with all information I had, jokingly, he threw them back to me and said "I meant real criminal records not those civil infractions" I smiled and said that’s all I have, he laughed and read some of the criminal record checklist so fast, I did not even get to say "no" for some questions I probably said no for 5 out of the 20 questions he asked me-he just did this because he knew I was clean.

After that we just chat for a while told us a story about a lady who came in before us for citizenship and she did not even renewed her green card which was expired for the last 5 years. We all laughed, he said if he retires he will find a job helping people in immigration issues, we all say that’s a good idea. While we are having the conversation he stamped my expired passport and said you don’t need this no more, meaning my visa copy.

We talk for a little more signed few more paper and he explained about the conditional GC and we were out, by 11:00am we were driving away and far from Detroit.

Mailed everything Sept. 12th 2005
Reciepts came one and half week later
Finger prints letter came in Oct. 14th 2005
Got an email that my EAD was approved on Oct 22nd 2005
No EAD card on the mail/card was lost/ USCIS couldn't help me :mad:
Letter from USCIS on Dec. 05 2005 asking for a copy of my birth certificate/ :eek:
Mailed a copy of my Birth Certificate the next day.
Still waiting for EAD card :confused:
My passport expired Dec. 12th 2005. :(
Jan 03 2006 interview letter came in/ interview date Feb 14th 2006 :p
Still waiting for EAD card :confused:
Interview on Feb 14th 2006 ---- GC approved :D

Still waiting for EAD card :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Your timeline is really messing with my head - if your interview was in February of this year and approved why are you just now in October writing about it?

My wife's interview is in 3 days and I lost my job about 2 weeks ago - though I got my job letter the week before that. I will bring my tax returns for the last 3 years showing that I earned an average of $34,000 - considerably above the poverty line.

But I am still sweating what their reaction and decision will be once I tell them that I lost my job recently - when asked of course.

Do you think they will aprove us anyway if we have everything else situated?

What should I do to be certain of that?

timmy_d11 said:
Your timeline is really messing with my head

Head twister indeed

fammic said:
Letter from USCIS on Dec. 05 2006 asking for a copy of my birth certificate/ :eek: I forgot to put one in.

My passport expired Dec. 12th 2006. :(

I think you meant to say 2005 there, not 2006

Boy did you luck out - I'm going through a lot of the time-consuming and costly BS because we were honest about me losing my job.

timmy_d11 said:
Boy did you luck out - I'm going through a lot of the time-consuming and costly BS because we were honest about me losing my job.

How did it go?

The other poster did not do well at their interview.

I don't think the 1st poster read what you wrote correctly.

I am assuming the wife's 1st job does not meet the income requirements.
If that is the case, you have to file a new I-864 with her income and you also have to find a co-sponsor whose income meet the requirements. Is it possible that you and your wife assets could qualify? Will she get unemployment for 2nd job?