• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Sponsor For the Green Card Lottery Winner

tonino

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I hold a low CN (EU 2K), so my interview should be scheduled in Oct or Nov.

The point is... I cannot provide any petitioner (i.e., sponsor) for my visa, not a US citizen, neither a LPR.
I could try to find a job in the meanwhile (I'm pursuing a M.Sc. in IT field), but I think it's hard to get anything by distance.

So, I should show the Consular Officer that I have enough funds to take with me to the U.S.A.
Is there any way to determine how much money should be considered enough... to convince the officer I'm not going to become a public charge?

Is there anyone from past DV editions who had a similar issue? Any suggestion?
Please help, I don't want to lose this opportunity for such a vague requirement!

Thank you,
Tonino

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are not going to work in the US, you need enough funds (at least poverty level) until your citizenship (about 5.5 years)

Hi raevsky,

of course I am going to work in the US!!! The problem is... I cannot get a job before getting there, from europe.
So, I won't have a job offer to show during the interview, and since I have to provide some kind of self-support, I can only rely on personal assets.

My question is slightly different: is there any specific amount I need to prove, to be granted the visa?

Thanks,
Tonino

The consular officer will have to estimate amount of time you need to find a job with decent salary. That depends on your education, age, experience. You will need funds for the period of time he or she finds necessary. You could talk to a job hunter in the US to figure that out for an average person with your parameters

I'm reading all these comments about emigration and finding a job and etc ..its sounds everything is peach and merry ..I mean is anyone actually read papers and watch tv ...USA IS ON LIFE SUPPORT MACHINE ..ECONOMY IS A BUST ...average waiting for the job is about a year at least ..I MEAN ..ARE YOU REALLY THAT DESPERATE TO COME OVER TO US AND BEG ON THE STREET ????

I'm reading all these comments about emigration and finding a job and etc ..its sounds everything is peach and merry ..I mean is anyone actually read papers and watch tv ...USA IS ON LIFE SUPPORT MACHINE ..ECONOMY IS A BUST ...average waiting for the job is about a year at least ..I MEAN ..ARE YOU REALLY THAT DESPERATE TO COME OVER TO US AND BEG ON THE STREET ????

It all depends what field/industry you are looking for work. Personally, I know high-level (not entry level) IT positions are available and you wouldnt wait at least a year to find that kind of job. That said, I dont know what kind of IT specialty tonino works in/studying for, and different specialties might have different availability.

yes there is always jobs in demand but somehow majority -99% of us can't get them ..so whats the use :( to mention something like that ..getting a good job in the USA at this time is equal winning a lottery ..ONLY ONE IN THOUSANDS WOULD GET THAT KIND OF JOB ...:mad:

I had the same problem ,I did'nt have any sponsor in U.S ,I had some assets around 8000 euros in bank and a vehicle around 2500 euros that i was ready to sacrifice ,then finally I found someone that gave me his address and his phone number ,I passed the interview without having affidavit of support i-134 that is required from a U.S sponsor. Is not just that peace of paper that is going to be considered during the processing of your application ,is your age ,then your language skills ,then your education ,your previous work experience ,and your medical condition .But still the consul reserves the right of requiring the form i-134 or not.She or he will decide are going to be needed one or not .So, you need to be lucky ,and dont be picky about the jobs you do just make sure its a legal one ,you can change your job anytime .

Hi ars_1980,

thanks for your answer, I really appreciated having some kind of measure like that.

Why did you need to provide a US address and phone#? Was he/she 'like' a petitioner with no I-134 actually signed? If not, what else?

By the way, I've read the minimum assets to be provided can be determined according to the I-864P form. Immigration.com policies do not let me to post the link in this forum, but it is quite easy to find, just google its name.

Tonino

Last edited by a moderator:
you do know that all the big money is on the sidelines at the moment. Why should individual investors test the waters first and take a chance with 401k money. Cash in and put the money in a bank, preferabley a swiss bank after you convert to Swiss Francs.

i'm just like u man, we have the same trouble,
i mean , i won on the lottery 2014 for the green card , but i've no body in the states , sponsor they call it !!

help