Spoke to Imm. Officer about C-11 - 730 days

happyme

Registered Users (C)
Today I spoke to imm. officer for about 20 minutes(never come across such a patient and polite Imm. officer) about the new rule being implemented re. 183 days and he said it will be a blanket rule for all PRs. He said any PR can be outside Canada after June 28 for 730 days in 5 year period. He was pretty sure about this and said there should not be any more regulations coming up regarding this particular section cuz it is a very staright forward rule applying to all PRs.

His only hitch was that there might be a slight possibility that the rule might get postponed for the implementation beacause of new point system, but otherwise there should not be any problem.

hope that helps.
thanks

it is 2 years out of 5 years in Canada

I hope one has to STAY IN CANADA for 730 days in any given 5 years? NOT to to remain OUT 730 days, it is 2 out of 5 years it means one can stay 3 years out of 5 years.To maintain PR you just have to be in Canada for 2 years(730) days out of 5 years, Correct me if I am wrong

I also called an immigration officer

I also called the Consular office in Buffalo. I told the consular officer that I will have been out of canaday exactly 183 days in September 2002.

I asked her if instead of applying for Returner Resident Permit I can just wait for the C_11 implementation and hence legally stay out of canada a much longer period. She advised me to apply for RRP from now in order to stay on the safe side. She said they do not know when the regulation will come up.

However, your officer above seem to be more optimistic. He thinks the regulations will be announced this year.

Does everybody agree that C_11 will be implemented this year? Or just apply for RRP?

from www.cic.gc.ca

feb16 - first set of regs.
march18 - final set of regs.
june28 - implemented.

No Title

But as per Coderre(New Minister), the regulations will be coming on Mar 15.....what do you think ????? Feb 16 or mar 15 ????

what about people who have already stayed out of canada for more than 183 days?

Will the new rule apply for people who have stayed out of canada for more than 183 days? When does the 5 year period start? Take my case: I landed last year and as per the old rule I am out of status. Will the new rule accept me as PR?

No Title

yes...thats what he said....I specially asked him this question and he said, irrespective of any thing all PRs are entitled to take advantage of this rule.

all the best