spoke to I/O

well I dunno what kind of stuff these IOs are smoking these days. I went to local USCIS office three times in past two months and they told me that my name check has been cleared as of 05/30/2007....but last week I received a letter from USCIS on my service center inquiry that case is pending due to background check.......

Is background check any different from name check?

what a mess.....my case has been pending 2 1/2 years now

Folks,

I am also in same situation. My understanding is that the people who got the letter as "Background Check Open" means that the internal checks are pending after the completion of:

1. NC cleared
2. Visa Number assigned

After Background check is cleared by the respective officer internally at USCIS, the file will be assigned to an IO for adjudication.

Why am I sure of this?

I was under the impression that Background Check = Name Check of FBI. I went after First Lady's office in June 2007 and a couple of weeks back, I heard from FBI directly that they have processed all my family cases in 2003 (on the same day they received). So, we need to pursue this through Ombudsman office, which I did in August 2007. Got a standard response that they initiated the enquiry (by filing Form 7001) and if I do not hear from them in 45 days, get back to his office.

I just wrote to Ombudsman's office with a copy of letter from FBI and waiting for something to happen. Will update you all - if something happens!!

Wish you all good luck.

Sail1

Hope

People change with time, even times change with time, change is the Promised Land, it impels us to trudge through the creaking monotonous drone of suburban life, every day…yeah every single day…holding on to the slimy bastard of hope…you lift the lead in your legs and your chafed, bloody palms hang on to the ever weakening, tattered lifeline of hope. You complain, you whine, but you won’t let go, you hold on to hope, through all the suffering, through all the dents in your once magnificent ego, because hope is the sultry mistress who will never abandon you, till she bankrupts your mind and your soul, sucks the fluid out of your spine, and you still ache for some more…some more of the same surreal departures from reality which sadly are and miserably will forever be the finest hours of your life, etched eternally in your subconscious with stone axes………….

I got SR response on sat tht background checks are pending....

any one with NC pending do they get specifically NC pending or they get the standard response tht Background chks r pending as well

ok, so I am completely lost about this. I have talked to three IO's and here's how the conversation went:

First Time: case is pending Background Security Check.

Second Time: Case is pending name Check. Nothing to be concerned about. It can take anywhere between months and years. Next IO may not give you this information. After NC clears it will depend on visa number being available
and the workload of the officer.

Third Time: It is still pending a security check. Is that a name check? Yes. When was it initiated, no idea. When will it get cleared, no idea.

So what do you guys make of this? Is it pending name check or is it pending a security check and what the hell is the difference anyway.

I got SR response on sat tht background checks are pending....

any one with NC pending do they get specifically NC pending or they get the standard response tht Background chks r pending as well

ok, so I am completely lost about this. I have talked to three IO's and here's how the conversation went:

First Time: case is pending Background Security Check.

Second Time: Case is pending name Check. Nothing to be concerned about. It can take anywhere between months and years. Next IO may not give you this information. After NC clears it will depend on visa number being available
and the workload of the officer.

Third Time: It is still pending a security check. Is that a name check? Yes. When was it initiated, no idea. When will it get cleared, no idea.

So what do you guys make of this? Is it pending name check or is it pending a security check and what the hell is the difference anyway.

When did uou call?

IS it today...

I spoke to IO today, she were very sympthatic but told me my case is under extended review...there is nothing she can do to expedite it ..... it can take month to years ... I asked if this is with officer she said no these kind of cases does not show them who is looking into that ... I was shocked
... don't know what to do

Don't take the IO's response that it is pending name check at face value...

On at least 2-3 occasions(June/Jul/Aug this yr), IOs said that my case is in name check. Some said my background checks were pending. SR responses say background check pending or under additional/extended review.

However, I received a letter from the FBI recently saying that my name check was cleared within a day in 2004 itself.

So, if they say your name check is pending, then take an Infopass appt and ask for the date when it was submitted and/or write to your Senator or Congressman or First Lady to enquire with the FBI on your behalf.

Also, I think background check is an overarching term that encompasses name check.

I was told multiple times at the infopass appointments in 2007 that my background check is pending. I asked for details and was told that you NC was submitted in sept 06 which is still pending.

I wrote to the first lady for help and after almost three months received a reply from FBI that they finalized my NC and sent the results back to USCIS in Nov 06 only.

Now I don't know whom to believe. Further, per my assumption, if your NC is clear, you BC should be clear as FBI has consolidated data.

So so for the 485 newbie, is there a thread that has standard letters, addresses of congressmen etc? Also, how does one get an Infopass appointment?

Don't take the IO's response that it is pending name check at face value...

On at least 2-3 occasions(June/Jul/Aug this yr), IOs said that my case is in name check. Some said my background checks were pending. SR responses say background check pending or under additional/extended review.

However, I received a letter from the FBI recently saying that my name check was cleared within a day in 2004 itself.

So, if they say your name check is pending, then take an Infopass appt and ask for the date when it was submitted and/or write to your Senator or Congressman or First Lady to enquire with the FBI on your behalf.

Also, I think background check is an overarching term that encompasses name check.

Lets gather data here

Ok any one who has writtent o first lady, senator, congressman, first lady, fbi.....n e one

plz post addresses, e mail addresses, e mail, and a sample letter if they can....

this is the only thing we can do to help oursleves i guess

There is conflict of information provided by the INFOPASS, IO, SR Request and the POJ methods,
Which one to trust??????????????????????????/

Got the SR which states that my background check is pending. Talked with congress man and found out the FBI name check is pending.

Here is the intersting thing: If FBI has cleared the name check way back in 2003/2004, it is almost 3-4 years since the check has been done. What is someone had commited a crime between 2004 and now? How is USCIS/FBI going to check? BTW, I am also stuck in BC and I was told my NC was cleared in 2004.

Good point.
I believe explanation as follow:
Name check is comprehensive in nature. It check total background including any abnormal activity outside the USA. Person has to live inside the USA for the I 485 pending state. If some one commit serious crime within USA, from the finger print, they can track easily.

Here is the intersting thing: If FBI has cleared the name check way back in 2003/2004, it is almost 3-4 years since the check has been done. What is someone had commited a crime between 2004 and now? How is USCIS/FBI going to check? BTW, I am also stuck in BC and I was told my NC was cleared in 2004.

I spoke to NSC IO today morning (11/05). Got the news that my FBI Name Check is Cleared.

Just talked to very friendly IO that confirmed my case was pending external security review. Note that she said they can't explicitly say if it is FBI NC or not but she said "I am sure you know which one I am talking about" .... indeed :(

She acknoledges that is is a mess and was sorry about the situation. Thanks to her I can now right up my letter to FL and/or President.

this is a std. reply I also got from IO

dice12
EB3 - PD 01
485 RD - DEC.04
NC Don't know. IO didn't tell anything.