Spent $187 for passport

danp

Registered Users (C)
Folks

My total cost was $187 for expedited passport in the local post office.

Did I pay too much?
Think so?

Dan

Isn't the passprt fee same everywhere? If you need it fast, you have to pay. I am going to be applying today or tomorrow.

Not sure you need to expedite the passport. I applied for my passport on October 5th. I received my passport on October 13th. I did not apply for the expedited passport. My total was around $90.

falcon7a said:
Not sure you need to expedite the passport. I applied for my passport on October 5th. I received my passport on October 13th. I did not apply for the expedited passport. My total was around $90.

luck you :)

It looks like I was screwed

Expedite charges $60....which now I think is a waste
Express mail charges $27
$30 money order for the Post office

Remaining to passport fess...

Where was I screwd....

that's about the right amount

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/fees/fees_837.html

Passport Fee: $97
Expedited Fee: $60
2 way express mail: $13.65 x2 = 27.30

Total: $184.30

From the $97 passport fee, $30 execution fee is payable to post office. So you should have written seperate checks:
1) $67 ($97-$30) + $60 expedited = $127 to Department of State
2) then $30 to post office
3) then $27.30 for postage.

Last edited by a moderator:
danp said:

Lot of people reported who used the routin service, they got their passports within 5 weeks. may be the other poster was lucky. after all, it is your choice. I do not think it is a waste; at least to me, i want to get my natr. cert back ASAP.

Thanks a lot

I am leaving to India in late November..
I need it fast to get my PIO fast if possible

I think it is worth the extra bucks....

Dan

Naturalization Certificat safety

I was told to keep my docs...esp Nat certificate and Name change court order safetly in a locker...

Is locker necessary....

Dan

it took 7 business days for expedited plus 2 way express. that's my experience.

i would put my nat cert in the safe deposit box...

cookie99 said:
it took 7 business days for expedited plus 2 way express. that's my experience.

i would put my nat cert in the safe deposit box...

After I receive my passport (by tomorrow), I might consider to get a safe deposit box in my bank and put my cert and name change there.

danp said:
I was told to keep my docs...esp Nat certificate and Name change court order safetly in a locker...

Is locker necessary....

Dan

As long as you can find a secure location (e.g. a fire safe etc.) that should be fine. Most often people recommend safe deposit boxes for items that are valuable. It is your choice if you want to get a safe deposit box or not, but note that it is a pain in the neck to get a replacement naturalization certificate.

danp said:
It looks like I was screwed

Express mail charges $27
$30 money order for the Post office

Remaining to passport fess...

Where was I screwd....

You could have gone to the passport agency instead of the post office. Then you wouldn't have to pay the express mail fees and pick up your passport the next day.

olgat said:
You could have gone to the passport agency instead of the post office. Then you wouldn't have to pay the express mail fees and pick up your passport the next day.

Yes, and only if the person needs to travel within 2 weeks or need to have a visa in 2 weeks with confirmed air tickets from airline(s).

olgat said:

Yes, but you have to show a CONFIRMED ticket which departure date is within 2 weeks. Otherwise, expedited service at post office is your only choice.