Speeding ticket before GC - Do I have mention it in N400?

kudi magan

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

I got a speeding ticket and a parking ticket before getting my GC.

Do I still have to mention it in the N400 application. Or do they want to know all the citations received during the 5 year period after becoming permenant resident.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Kudi Magan!

kudi magan said:
Hi all,

I got a speeding ticket and a parking ticket before getting my GC.

Do I still have to mention it in the N400 application. Or do they want to know all the citations received during the 5 year period after becoming permenant resident.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Kudi Magan!

If I remember correctly the question in N-400 is something like: "Have you EVER been, arrested, cited, etc"

So, you have to mention everything since the day you were born ;)

Parking ticket: NO.

The question is ...

"16. Have you EVER been arrested, cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer"

So, you do have to mention all speeding tickets. However, parking tickets need not be mentioned.

But I don't have the citation with me now. I must have lost it.
What are the alternative documents can I show that I got the citation and paid the penalty on time?

If you are mentioning it on N-400, then I'd suggest for you to make sure you have the documentation to support that you have paid the ticket and nothing is outstanding.

I was asked to provide proof or certified copies of court disposition for the tickets I got more than 10 years ago. As many others I did not bother to have the documentation upfront as I did not remember the date/place etc. and now I am spending hours trying to locate correct municiple court

There is a high chance that they won't ask for it, but just because you have mentioned it on the app, they may ask for the documentation so be prepared.

If you remember the township where you got the ticket, try calling the township court and usually they will tell you over the phone if they have any records for your ticket or not and how to get a certified copy.

did any of the courts you called tell you that they didn't have the old records anymore ? what do you do in that case ?

-Vasu

In deciding whether to report a speeding ticket from the distant past on the N-400, would it be reasonable to follow the following guideline?

Get your driving record from the DMV of every state that you lived in (usually available for ~$10), and if the ticket appears on the record, then mention it; If it doesn't appear, forget about it?

bltzkrig

The new N400 app says you donot have to mention traffic tickets if the fine was below $500 and there was no jail time.

DUI has to be mentioned. Please search for a thread in this very forum which was started to help with this issue.
Please read the instruction page of the N400 form which clearly says this.

If you still want to declare then, go ahead. I have a print out of the instructions and a copy of my app. If they were to ask I will show it to them why I did not fill the traffic tickets.

svasudev said:
did any of the courts you called tell you that they didn't have the old records anymore ? what do you do in that case ?

-Vasu

In that case get a letter from the court saying they do not have any records.

Friends,

I am preparing N400 to send it over by the weekend. I double checked the Instruction pages of N400 . " kaynags " has absolutely right about the traffic tickets.

"Note that unless a traffic incident was alcohol or drug related, you do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines and incidents that did not involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was a fine of less that $500 and/or points on your driver's license."

scitizen

scitizen said:
Friends,

I am preparing N400 to send it over by the weekend. I double checked the Instruction pages of N400 . " kaynags " has absolutely right about the traffic tickets.

"Note that unless a traffic incident was alcohol or drug related, you do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines and incidents that did not involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was a fine of less that $500 and/or points on your driver's license."

scitizen

Reading your text, which I assume you got from N-400 instruction I tend to believe that "kaynags" is wrong!

The text says you don't need to submit documentation.....

...Still, the N-400 application asks specifically to answer if you EVER been cited...

In other words, they may not ask for documentation about your "ordinary" traffic tickets, but you still have to mention them in your application
;)

Last edited by a moderator:
kaynags said:
The new N400 app says you donot have to mention traffic tickets if the fine was below $500 and there was no jail time.

DUI has to be mentioned. Please search for a thread in this very forum which was started to help with this issue.
Please read the instruction page of the N400 form which clearly says this.

If you still want to declare then, go ahead. I have a print out of the instructions and a copy of my app. If they were to ask I will show it to them why I did not fill the traffic tickets.

any traffic ticket regardless of whatever fine you paid and even if there was no jail time..In most cases, the immigration officer won't ask you much about the ticket. Regardless, one is cited when you get a traffic ticket and so you **MUST** state that on the N-400 form even though I know some immigrant lawyers who preach the above (i.e. you don't need to mention the traffic ticket on the N-400 form)

scitizen said:
Friends,

scitizen

i wish you luck. pls don;t cry and ask for help if you got denied because of did not disclose the traffic tickets.

thank u for the correct interpretation. I guess you have to mention it in the N400 but need not provide documentation.
I will let the officer know about my 2 tickets before the start of the interview.

bltzkrig said:
In deciding whether to report a speeding ticket from the distant past on the N-400, would it be reasonable to follow the following guideline?

Get your driving record from the DMV of every state that you lived in (usually available for ~$10), and if the ticket appears on the record, then mention it; If it doesn't appear, forget about it?

bltzkrig

The only reasonable guideline to follow is this : TELL THE TRUTH!

Ned

Is this new rule applicable for those of us that have used the previous N-400 form and still waiting for the interview? Does that mean, we do not have to go and get documentation from the court for minor moving violations?

GeeC said:
Is this new rule applicable for those of us that have used the previous N-400 form and still waiting for the interview? Does that mean, we do not have to go and get documentation from the court for minor moving violations?

If such a rule is in the new instructions, it applies to everybody, including people like you, who applied before it but didn't have the interview yet.

Suzy977 said:
If such a rule is in the new instructions, it applies to everybody, including people like you, who applied before it but didn't have the interview yet.

I had my interview on 2/21... way after this instructions were supposed to be in effect ( I believe they were effective Dec2005) and I was specifically asked to produce court records for my traffic tickets, which I did not have with me, so I am calling all these courts and collecting the papers. I haven't heard of anyone else who was asked for these docs... so not sure what is their criteria

I did not have many tickets anyways

Deer said:
I had my interview on 2/21... way after this instructions were supposed to be in effect ( I believe they were effective Dec2005) and I was specifically asked to produce court records for my traffic tickets, which I did not have with me, so I am calling all these courts and collecting the papers. I haven't heard of anyone else who was asked for these docs... so not sure what is their criteria

I did not have many tickets anyways

Not reading the INS instruction with my own eyes I've said: If such a rule is in the new instruction...

Now, an explanation to your case could be:

1. No such a rule.

2. The idiot who interviewied you wans't aware of the new rule. Don't expect those "rocket scientists" high school undergratuated CIS employee to KNOW, UNDERSTAND and APPLY the law exactly the way it was meant to be ;)
In such cases is good to have a copy of the new regulation with you to educate those imbecils :D