Speeding and parking tickets?

neelmanish

Registered Users (C)
I have hired an attorney to file my citizenship application. They told me that I do not need to mention speeding or parking tickets if I have paid them. Is that correct? Thanks and best regards!!

n400 form requires you to disclose all citations.

traffic ticket is one kind of citations.

I believe you can come up the answer for your question. right?

if you are still confused, the answer is, you need to disclose the traffic tickets. period.

however, parking tickets are not the citations thou.

why would you post it in this thread which it is totally out of the topic?

by the way, if he was the person of what you just described, why didn't you report him tot he police, fbi, USCIS, newspaper.. etc?

if you think your relatives are suffering from what Johnny did (i have no idea of what he did or did not do to your relatives, but it is what you said in your post), your relatives should just report him to law enforcements.

:rolleyes:

anyhow, this forum has been helping me a lot to get thru my confusions and questions. it is sad to see all the disagreements (or fight) between individuals which might take up lot of space and bandwidth of the server.

Last edited by a moderator:
neelmanish said:
I have hired an attorney to file my citizenship application. They told me that I do not need to mention speeding or parking tickets if I have paid them. Is that correct? Thanks and best regards!!

Read this:
http://www.kansas.com/mld/mercurynews/news/world/12099424.htm

It used to be that they were not interested in traffic violations and said so on the application form. However, apparently some applicants took this to mean that they did not have to mention serious offenses such as DUI/DWI. So the wording was changed and you now have to report all traffic violations including speeding tickets.

traffic records

Hi, I am new to the forum and and I a few issues that I hope someone could help.

In the last 10 years, I resided in California and Pennsylvanaia and now I live in Michigan. I do not have any traffic violation in Michigan but was cited a few parking and speeding violations in CA and PA.

My questions are
(1) Do I have to bring the traffic court records and DMV records from CA and PA to the interview? If I do, where can I get those information? Online or I have to fly back to CA and PA to get them from the court?

(2) I checked a NO on question 16 of my application because I did not know speeding and parking tickets are considered citation. Should I send an amanedment to the service center or should I wait till the interview to rectify the mistake.

Thanks

gwong said:
My questions are
(1) Do I have to bring the traffic court records and DMV records from CA and PA to the interview? If I do, where can I get those information? Online or I have to fly back to CA and PA to get them from the court?

you can request your driving records by filling the form which you can find from CA DMV and mail to them.

For the court info, you need to find out which county you received the traffic ticket(s) and call the county clerk or the police station for inqury your previous citations

gwong said:
(2) I checked a NO on question 16 of my application because I did not know speeding and parking tickets are considered citation. Should I send an amanedment to the service center or should I wait till the interview to rectify the mistake.

you can the evidence of proof of payment and your citation info to the interview with you.

ocworker said:
n400 form requires you to disclose all citations.

traffic ticket is one kind of citations.

I believe you can come up the answer for your question. right?

if you are still confused, the answer is, you need to disclose the traffic tickets. period.

however, parking tickets are not the citations thou.

hi ocworker, if parking tickets is not a citation then we do not have to disclose it in N400. Right? I have about 10 unpaid parking tickets in 10 years but I can't remeber where I got them. I have lived in 3 different paces in the last 10 years and the dmv report from those 3 areas shows nothing about parking tickets. In addition, I have called the traffic court but they couldn't find any violation as well.

I want to payoff all my parking citations before the interview but unfortunately, I do not know how to pay them off. It's a relive to know that parking ticket is not citation and therefore I do not have to disclose it.

parking tickets!

The INS is not interested in a person's driving skills. It is surprising that people keep talking about DMV record, when that has nothing to do with citizenship application. I know a lot of persons on this forum will disagree, but tickets are a non-issue, and there is no point volunteering and giving information to the INS officers when they don't require it.
Of course that does not mean a person should have "10 unpaid parking tickets!"
All the best!!

You have to be honest. I was told directly by an INS supervisor that failure to mention my traffic ticket would have definitely made her deny my visa application, even though the ticket itself would not have. The fact that I mentioned it showed that I was honest, and she approved me.

Scruit said:
You have to be honest. I was told directly by an INS supervisor that failure to mention my traffic ticket would have definitely made her deny my visa application, even though the ticket itself would not have. The fact that I mentioned it showed that I was honest, and she approved me.

Since I do not know how many parking tickets I got, where and when I got those tickets, the only thing I can do is to give them the best-effort estimate, and explain to them that I do not know how to pay those tickets.

I seriously doubt being honest in this manner is going to do me any good. In addition, if parking ticket is not a citation, then not disclosing them is technically not a violation and not an intent to hide.

Scruit, where and when did your interview take place? Thanks

if lawer say no disclosure for traffic citation, that means no disclosure needed. it does not hurt to mention those but not necessary.

genesis1 said:
The INS is not interested in a person's driving skills. It is surprising that people keep talking about DMV record, when that has nothing to do with citizenship application. I know a lot of persons on this forum will disagree, but tickets are a non-issue, and there is no point volunteering and giving information to the INS officers when they don't require it.
Of course that does not mean a person should have "10 unpaid parking tickets!"
All the best!!

may be INS does not care about your person's driving skill (unless it is DUI and other dangous..etc). However, they care about if you get any citations.

So, if you do not have any speeding tickets, it means you do not need to worry about it.

If you do have any speeding tickets, that means you get citations, then yo uneed to report it. don't be a smart xyz especially you should get your facts correct.

ocworker

OCworker, no need to get excited or pass comments. Every officer and district is different. Newark DO does not require this. Moreover there are a number of posts on this forum where officers have told the persons that it is not required. Also like someone mentioned that some Officers may want to see proof if you wrote it down.
Anyway more importantly please refrain from passing comments on others. The intention is to have a healthy debate on this forum.
Thanks

Hi everybody!

I agree, just so one does not have to worry about it later on, I would disclose traffic tickets/citations. I did not mention the one citation I got last year (failure to obey highway sign). I prepaid the fine ($30 plus $57 processing fee) and that was it. I have all the documentation relating to this incident. As I did not mention it on my N-400, it is my intention to bring it up during the interview...even before he/she might even ask for traffic violations.

I wonder though, if this is taken literally:

Have you ever committed a crime or offense for which you were not arrested?

I bet EVERYBODY would have to answer yes. Who has never broken the speed limit without getting caught? What about 90% of all internet users who illegally download music, copy CDs for friends etc. and de jure commit theft and violate copy rights? Etc. etc.

Well, this could be debated into absurdity. I think the general consensus here and in the legal community seems to be: List even minor traffic violations. They changed the wording because folks would not list DWI/DUI/Reckless Driving etc.

If you list minor traffic violations, it won't hurt. What they care about are things that constitute temporary and/or permanent bars to naturalization.

Just my 2 cents...

Best,
Nico

JoeF said:
Yeah, this is an absurd question ;)
I remember a similar one on the I-485.
Exactly.
The thing is that on the N-400, you sign this statement: "I certify, under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America, that this application, and the evidence submitted with it, are all true and correct."
If you don't list citations that you have, you commit perjury, which is much more serious than speeding citations, and can really get you into trouble.

I absolutely agree with you JoeF!

Like I said, I should have included the "failure to obey highway sign" :-(. Ah, too late now. I rather disclose it during the interview than sending an addendum to my original N-400 and confuse confused people (USCIS) even more ;-). Or would you suggest otherwise?

Best,
Nico

I have a couple speeding tickes and all have been paid in full. From other forum, it seems that some INS interviewer will request traffic court documents in lieu of DMV records, and some will not.

Just in case the interviewer asks for the traffic court documents during the interview but I only have dmv record with me, anyone knew/heard what INS would do in this situation? Will they reschedule the interview or deny my apps on the spot.

I think part of the reason that made people afraid to disclose the citation is the fact that documents required by INS is so inconsistent.

Disclosing traffic violations is not a big deal and we should all be honest about every inputs in the N-400 forms. However, putting unreasonable burden on the applicant to retrieve the traffic court records, and others, is perplexing. I can't find anywhere on USCIS website that mentions INS will not accept the DMV record in lieu of traffic court documents. USCSIS website also doesn't mention one needs to bring W-2, company employement letter and many others things that people talk about in this forum.

What's on earth would an interviewer need those documents. Unless they are discretionary request by poorly trained INS staff, I do not comprehend the rational of INS.

My principal is be honest and bring whatever I can obatianed to the interview. Anything else they requested that I don't have is the fault on their part.

I just hope I will meet a reasonable interviewer in Detroit next month. If not, I hope someone can let me know the avenues to lodge a report against the interviewers for creating miseries on applicants.

JoeF said:
That's what the interview is for, to clear up anything that is missing, and add this kind of information if necessary.

Thanks, just what I had intended. I will do that should I ever get to the interview stage. In order to get there, VSC should do some kind of processing to my case; other than just cashing the check on 01/23/06...like a receipt notice would be a nice start... .

Cheers,
Nico