Specter's markup victimizes EB1-3, benefits EB5 unskilled from Mexico

stucklabor

Registered Users (C)
All, Section 502 of Specter's bill strikes out Paragraph (a)(5) of 8 USC 1152 completely. This paragraph says that EB immigrants of each category are not subject to country quotas when additional visas are available. For instance, if EB2 visas are available, EB2 alone will not be subject to country quota. There is now no distinction between EB and FB immigrants. Country quotas will be applied strictly in each EB category and unused numbers will fall through to the next EB category.

However, in general, paragraphs (a)(2) and (a)(3) of 8 USC 1152 do say that country quotas will not apply when additional visas are available. All the unused EB1-3 visas when country quotas are applied, will now fall through to EB5 unskilled category - to now benefit unskilled workers from Mexico!

Here is the text from Specter's markup section 503, language re: unskilled workers. "Visas will be made available in a number not exceeding 30% of worldwide total, plus any visas not required for classes mentioned in paragraphs (1) through (4)...."

Here are paragraphs (a)(2) and (a)(3) from 8 USC 1152.

(2) Per country levels for family-sponsored and employment-based immigrants
Subject to paragraphs (3), (4), and (5), the total number of immigrant visas made available to natives of any single foreign state or dependent area under subsections (a) and (b) of section 1153 of this title in any fiscal year may not exceed 7 percent (in the case of a single foreign state) or 2 percent (in the case of a dependent area) of the total number of such visas made available under such subsections in that fiscal year.
(3) Exception if additional visas available
If because of the application of paragraph (2) with respect to one or more foreign states or dependent areas, the total number of visas available under both subsections (a) and (b) of section 1153 of this title for a calendar quarter exceeds the number of qualified immigrants who otherwise may be issued such a visa, paragraph (2) shall not apply to visas made available to such states or areas during the remainder of such calendar quarter.

when will you guys learn basic etiquette

I won't feel good if someone say:

"engineering coolies from india fighting for more EB numbers "

Can't your title be just:
Specter's markup victimizes EB1-3, benefits EB5 .

Why have to racify everything ...

Calif, I said Eb5 unskilled from Mexico. That is the effect of the proposal. Don't put words in my mouth. I never said 'coolie' . You can choose to hide behind political correctness. I will call a spade a spade. I have nothing against unskilled workers from Mexico, except when they get better treatment from a bill that is purportedly to improve American competitiveness.

And having written "I won't feel good if someone say:" and "racify everything" maybe you should also learn basic grammar.

calif said:
I won't feel good if someone say:

"engineering coolies from india fighting for more EB numbers "

Can't your title be just:
Specter's markup victimizes EB1-3, benefits EB5 .

Why have to racify everything ...

I agree - call a spade what it is!

stucklabor said:
Calif, I said Eb5 unskilled from Mexico. That is the effect of the proposal. Don't put words in my mouth. I never said 'coolie' . You can choose to hide behind political correctness. I will call a spade a spade. I have nothing against unskilled workers from Mexico, except when they get better treatment from a bill that is purportedly to improve American competitiveness.

And having written "I won't feel good if someone say:" and "racify everything" maybe you should also learn basic grammar.
I agree thoroughly! Where I come from, people who were called 'coolies' overthrew the then greatest power of the world! And, descendents of those 'coolies' are contributing richly to the UK economy! In fact, one of the descendents of the 'coolies' is the richest man in UK, richer than the Queen!
There is a lesson for everybody - we will fight all of your retrogressions! And, we will overcome! Spector will have to modify his country limit proposals - I am certain of that!
The Battle has just been joined! We will overcome, because we are in the right! I will not worry what I am called - I will just work hard to reform your system till it is fair to 'coolies' or non-coolies! But, it has to be fair to everybody, and to our skills, & contributions to the US economy!

Last edited by a moderator:
guys call whatever you want to.

But civil discourse creates better societies, which sometimes means avoid calling spade at all...

If You haven't seen examples... look around in your world, If everyone start calling spade a spade, won't be a easy world to live in especially for immigrants.
It is much easier because of so called political correctness....

Boxofchocs

But lower 40% of british people still live much better life that lower 40% of south asians... This is the only parameter which matters to me.

They still suffer from malnutrition/lack of medical services and have no hopes of future .. .. Hopefully they will catch up some day then we can truly celebrate India's success.

Agree with civil discourse!

calif said:
But civil discourse creates better societies, which sometimes means avoid calling spade at all...

If You haven't seen examples... look around in your world, If everyone start calling spade a spade, won't be a easy world to live in especially for immigrants.
It is much easier because of so called political correctness....
We have to be civil to everybody, and we are!
We do not mean offence to anybody, but clearly in this society - having skills and following the law has to mean something!
Give me a break, but above everything, most of us retrogressed people have fought several odds that were the same as, or worse than walking across borders without any permits/visas! I stay in a state that faces the worst of these, and I personally admire the courage of these people! But, the society in general just values skills! EB-1 to 3 are needed immensely, contribute much more and tested much more than EB-5s! Physicians who are trained in their countries have to come here, and go through residencies again - to stand in line with other US physicians!
I think civil discourse means that we value people who abide the law! The society is structured in such a way that skills require more preparation, are tested more and are hence, valued more!
And, Specter ( even with his Lymphoma) and calif( whoever you are), have no business tempering with what is legally and morally right!

We have a long way to go!

calif said:
But lower 40% of british people still live much better life that lower 40% of south asians... This is the only parameter which matters to me.

They still suffer from malnutrition/lack of medical services and have no hopes of future .. .. Hopefully they will catch up some day then we can truly celebrate India's success.
Agree that we have a long way to go! And, we will get there - however long it takes!
I agree that there are more disparities in India, and the rest of the Third World, including beloved Me'xico!
But, to our discussion - playing by the Law has to mean something! How can you justify penalizing me for the country of my origin, when you allow somebody who works the same as me to get a Green Card before me?
Retrogression is rotten, and so is breaking the Law!

keep the message objective

I am probably from the same county as you & probably same EB category as you & probably has waited more than you & may have the same feelings as you
(except that I just want to get my GC along with everyone else stuck in this retrogession & have nothing against mexicans or anyone else), But don't want to express it your way.

According to british law and history :
"Indian freedom fighters were criminal and still in history books they are"

so I am noway saying US laws are draconian like british colonialism.. But simple fact that you are law abiding doesn't mean you have a high moral ground in all cases.

There is no reason to bring "unskilled mexican" in this discussion, It is just about EB categories & It should remain this way.

Imagine sending this message to lawmakers:
"Please change the rule as it helps EB5 unskilled mexicans than high skill people"
... This will be outrightly rejected by many mexican lawmakers & non-mexican law makers half of whose staff/constitunets are mexican.....

Now you can say you will change the message when send to lawmakers...
In that case you don't always call spade a spade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please consolidate all views in one thread

Please consolidate all views at one location
I have created a new thread for the same.

GCStrat :)