Special Registration:

dip92

Registered Users (C)
2003 US government declared that certain countries have to go for special registration including Pakistan, Bangladesh and every year have to go to local sub INS office and do the same procedure again. And every time leave/Entry to the USA, people must report at the airport to a visa officer that he/she did the special registration. But in 2004 INS press release said, no need to go every year registration and everybody exempt. I did special registration last year and that time I was F1 category. After that I was in H1B holder and doing job. Now I got married USC and applied through my spouse got my EAD and AP. I am planning to visit my country in Bangladesh with AP.

Gurus, my questions are:

1. Still I have to notify the officer at JFK airport that I did my special registration and have to show in my passport’s FIN# which Hartford, CT sub office gave after taking my photo and fingerprint last year, though they exempt everybody now?
2. If anybody faced the same situation, please let me know. I called BCIS officer; I doubt they ever heard about special registration.
3. Though there is no special registration thing, why should I need to face officer my departure time?
I know it’s not a big deal whether I have to go to officer or not. But I need to know whether I must go and report this matter.

I am waiting for you gurus help. Thanks a lot in advance.

Good luck everybody.

Dip

Special Registration

Hi,

You have to go immigration before your departure and inform them that you are leaving USA you are one of Special Reisterant in their system. If you do not report your departure you will be in problem when you try to come back. Because when you will return they will take your photo and finger print again and then they will let you in. At departure you will have no problem. Make sure you get your passport stamped with EXIT when you depart from USA.

amansajwani said:
Hi,

You have to go immigration before your departure and inform them that you are leaving USA you are one of Special Reisterant in their system. If you do not report your departure you will be in problem when you try to come back. Because when you will return they will take your photo and finger print again and then they will let you in. At departure you will have no problem. Make sure you get your passport stamped with EXIT when you depart from USA.

Thanks a lot Amansajwani.

Do you think though they already removed this process still I have to go to get my passport stamped?

-Where should I go in the airport?

-Is that time consuming process to get the passport stamped?

-Is there any hassel for that, I mean they will ask a lot of questions again?

-What stamp they will put in my passport?

-They will ask me or I have to find out them myself at airport?

-I have to give them, my Finger print number? or they will ask for that?

-Is their office open all the time at airport whenever I will leave? My departure time is around 11:45pm. Do you think they open all the time?

Please give me this answer. I appreciate your help.

Thanks!
Dip

Dip,

You should check the special registration site at http://www.ice.gov/graphics/specialregistration/index.htm to get all the details. There is information there on which airports, borders etc you can exit through. There are phone numbers there you can call to see how late they are open. Most major airports have there immigration desk open 24 hrs, so it is just a matter of finding out where you have to go. Give yourself an extra hour or two for the whole process.

I think you may not have to go through the special registration once you return and use your AP. However make sure of this by asking the officer before you depart and if possible get it in writing. At the very least you should ask them to point to specific clause in the law that requires to you to register (or not) if you re-enter on the AP.

Good luck and keep us posted. I might have to go through this myself sometime in the future!

G.

Last edited by a moderator:
gc20040 said:
Dip,

You should check the special registration site at http://www.ice.gov/graphics/specialregistration/index.htm to get all the details. There is information there on which airports, borders etc you can exit through. There are phone numbers there you can call to see how late they are open. Most major airports have there immigration desk open 24 hrs, so it is just a matter of finding out where you have to go. Give yourself an extra hour or two for the whole process.

I think you may not have to go through the special registration once you return and use your AP. However make sure of this by asking the officer before you depart and if possible get it in writing. At the very least you should ask them to point to specific clause in the law that requires to you to register (or not) if you re-enter on the AP.

Good luck and keep us posted. I might have to go through this myself sometime in the future!

G.

Definitely I will. Thanks.