Special Address Situation

bingboong

Registered Users (C)
:confused: Hello Everyone,:confused:

I am trying to figure out what to do in my case.

I applied for Citizenship early January and have already done my fingerprinting in Virginia (early Feb).

Due to work situations, I will be moving out of state to Colorado by the end of this month (March). For approximately 3-4 months, I will be staying with a relative in Colorado and hope to have a permanent address after that.

I am trying to figure out what address to use. I have relatives in both Virginia and Colorado. I could use either addresses. I am willing to travel back to Virginia if needed to go through the interview/oath (unless I cannot do this).

What would you suggest? Desperately trying to figure out what to do.

If I change my address to the Colorado relative's address, what will happen to my application as the processing Center and local office will most definately change.

Any help is greately appreciated.

Thank you.

bingboong,

Can you please provide your timeline (PD, FP Dates, etc.) so others could assess and respond? Its important to know how far have you gone into the process. One thing to remember is that during the Interview Process, USCIS Officer does look at your Driver's Licence (address/person verification) for sure.

Sorry for not posting detailed information.

Here is the full timeline:

Mailed: 12/28/06
PD: 01/03/07
FP: 01/25/07

Inter: Waiting
Oath: Waiting

:confused: Hello Everyone,:confused:

I am trying to figure out what to do in my case.

I applied for Citizenship early January and have already done my fingerprinting in Virginia (early Feb).

Due to work situations, I will be moving out of state to Colorado by the end of this month (March). For approximately 3-4 months, I will be staying with a relative in Colorado and hope to have a permanent address after that.

I am trying to figure out what address to use. I have relatives in both Virginia and Colorado. I could use either addresses. I am willing to travel back to Virginia if needed to go through the interview/oath (unless I cannot do this).

What would you suggest? Desperately trying to figure out what to do.

If I change my address to the Colorado relative's address, what will happen to my application as the processing Center and local office will most definately change.

Any help is greately appreciated.

Thank you.

#1: You can always change your address with USCIS citzenship processing unit. N-400 application and/or Guide to Naturaliztion has phone number and instructions what to do if you move while your citizenship application is pending.

HOWEVER..........

If you do that.....your file might have to leave VSC center and go to antoher center. If your file has been sent to DC DO, then it has to be sent back to VSC and then send to another service center, which will need to forward it to an appropriate DO in Colorado so that your interview can be scheduled.

In all that mess......your file might end up by mistake who knows where....you might recieve your interview notice on your old address etc.

Not sure if you really have to move....but if I were you, I would not move until I get my citizenship.

If you REALLY HAVE to move and have no other choices but to be in Colorado....If I were, I would try to preserve my Virignia residence and complete the process at your old DO. Use new address in VA. Can you preserve your old address?

Do not forget that there is a requirement for you to be at least 3 months in state before you can be naturalized. So, if you move, you have to be careful that you can collect 3 monhts stay in Colorado before your interview should you move your residence there.

Also.....Not sure if you would have an access to your old mailbox, but at minimum I would file for postal re-direction and even ask ppl after you to monitor for any USCIS mail.

Frankly, no great solution here....But you have to make some choices. Hassle is unavoidable.

Good luck!

P.S: I'm not a lawyer or immigration expert. I'm just an ordinary guy. You are soley responsible for your actions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Superstring,

You stated what I was afraid of.

I live in a apartment so unless I renew the lease, I will loose the mailbox.

I guess I will have to make a hard choice. Since this is employment related, I might not have many choices.

Thank you again.

Yes I do. I can certainly transfer the mail there.

Since I will not have established a permanent residence/address in Denver for a couple of months, would I be ok to using VA as my residence?

But, remember, you will be swearing an oath to tell the truth during your interview. Truthfulness is the most important thing on your application and in the interview. You need to be sure that you can still be able to be truthful at the time you take the interview.

After 90 days you basically become a Colorado resident if that is your primary residence, so you then end up having to get a Colorado drivers licence, which you'll have to show to the IO during interview.

If you move, there really isn't much you can do except suck up the delay.

Thank you for you help guys..

The 90 day requirement was for actually applying in the 1st place isn't it?

There is no reason to lie. I might just stay in VA and travel to CO if my work allows.