Son PIO card holder in India, > 180 days, should he register? URGENT. Please help

vnmohan

Hello,

I and my wife are both Indian citizens currently in the USA and hold valid greencards. Our son was born in the USA and holds a US passport. He has a valid PIO card. He traveled to India with us on November 29, 2006 and stayed back with his grandparents even as my wife and I returned in Jan 2007. He has tickets to come back to the USA on June 22, 2007 along with his grandparents. I was told initially that he does not need to register even though he stays over 180 days since he is under 12 years. Now, I am not so sure. I hear that he needs to register with the local Foreigner Registration Office. Is this true? What exactly does he need to apply for? I am worried since he has only 10 more days to go to catch the flight. Has anybody been in a similar situation? Can you please please respond? He is in Hyderabad, India currently.

I do very much appreciate your help.

Thank you,
Mohan

just now I read your question so I am replying with my opinion, even though it is late.

based on all the articles which I have read and even based on the information at www.indiacgny.com (New york consulate site), it is necessary to register if stay exceeds 180 days (with PIO card). I am not sure about the details of where to register and how to register.

Hello,

I and my wife are both Indian citizens currently in the USA and hold valid greencards. Our son was born in the USA and holds a US passport. He has a valid PIO card. He traveled to India with us on November 29, 2006 and stayed back with his grandparents even as my wife and I returned in Jan 2007. He has tickets to come back to the USA on June 22, 2007 along with his grandparents. I was told initially that he does not need to register even though he stays over 180 days since he is under 12 years.
-------------That is correct,Children below 16 years of age dont need to register.
Now, I am not so sure. I hear that he needs to register with the local Foreigner Registration Office. Is this true?
-----not true
What exactly does he need to apply for? I am worried since he has only 10 more days to go to catch the flight. Has anybody been in a similar situation? Can you please please respond? He is in Hyderabad, India currently.

I do very much appreciate your help.

Thank you,
Mohan

------------------------

Could you tell me what you have done with your son's situation?

We are also facing same situation with my daughter. We didn't know that we have to register her stay if she satys more than 180 days. We are also booked tickets for my daughter to come to US. She will be coming in 2 weeks. Could you tell me what you have done in your son's situation? did he faced any problems to come to us? Please share your experience.

thats totally wrong. you need to urgently register. the problem will pop up when you come to the airport immigration(last minute) when you depart india. contact and register urgently. I had atleast three cases reported with kids between 7-10 years old.you will get into trouble last minute of your travel.Unless you have OCI, you need to register