Somebody Please Clarify

indian69

Registered Users (C)
My GC sponsoring consulting company is in New York. I am consulting to one of its client in colorado. My attorney got my labour and I140 thru VSC, but filed for I485 in NSC. When i asked him about the reason for change from VSC to NSC, he said, I485 should be filed based on where you live now ie colorado, which means NSC. I see postings here stating I485 is field based on where the sponsoring company is...etc. I am wondering if my I485 filing in NSC is correct though my sponsoring company is in NY ( VSC ), and i got labour and I140 from VSC...

Can someone Please help me out here... Thanks.

It\'s not true.

I live in California, but My I140 is done and I-485 is pending
at VSC.

Your lawyer fooled you or he is not aware of the immi. rules clearly.

If some one is working in consulting business and if you travel frequently you should be able to file on the basis of your company location , in your case you could have filed in VSC but i don\'t see any issue filing at NSC other than getting delayed looking at current pace of VSC vs. NSC.

Many of my friends filed like this.

it is correct in a way.

You have the option to apply at any one of the places. viz., ur company(VSC) or where u live(NSC).

Dont worry you r ok.

Indian69

lamha is right. Depending on your living place jurisdiction, your case can be filed at that service center or at a service center depending on your company\'s jurisdiction. So your attorney is right. No need to worry.

You definitely can file where you filed your I-140

I\'m in CA and both my I-140 and I-485 were filed with the VSC.
I don\'t know if that\'s where you should file but you definitely can.

On the other hand since they issued a receipt notice, that may mean that they accepted your application. I\'d suppose that they would have otherwise rejected it for reasons of out of district application. This is just a guess.
Any IIO should be able to tell you if your application is filed correctly or not. I suggest you talk to one as soon as possible.

vv