• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

some questions about dv

mehi

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

I have some questions, I hope you can help me.

1) How long does it take that I recieve my GC and SSN and Re-entry permit?
2) Can I leave The USA, before getting the Re-entry document, Or it must be stamped when I leaving?
3) Does the dv visa(expires 6 months after medical) which is issued to get USA must be valid when I leave USA, or it must be valid when I enter USA?

Thanks in advance,

Gc

Hi all,

I have some questions, I hope you can help me.

2) Can I leave The USA, before getting the Re-entry document, Or it must be stamped when I leaving?
3) Does the dv visa(expires 6 months after medical) which is issued to get USA must be valid when I leave USA, or it must be valid when I enter USA?

Thanks in advance,
1. With a valid GC via DV, u don't need a reentry permit. Most people take a month but it can take upto 6 months.
2. 1 above.
3. Your dv visa will still expire but as long as you have a GC u dont need to renew. However, it must be valid when u enter US first time before you receive your green card, it is the only way to activate your dv green card. Doesn't have to be valid upon exit unless you are exiting before you receive ur actual green card.

1. With a valid GC via DV, u don't need a reentry permit. Most people take a month but it can take upto 6 months.
2. 1 above.
3. Your dv visa will still expire but as long as you have a GC u dont need to renew. However, it must be valid when u enter US first time before you receive your green card, it is the only way to activate your dv green card. Doesn't have to be valid upon exit unless you are exiting before you receive ur actual green card.

I want to stay for a short time first, then I will return to the USA after 1.5 years, so I need a re-entry permit.

With this condition that I said, can you answer the above questions?
Does it affect on my case if I exit before getting the GC? My family in the USA can collect my GC and SSN and re-entry...

Thanks

I want to stay for a short time first, then I will return to the USA after 1.5 years, so I need a re-entry permit.

With this condition that I said, can you answer the above questions?
Does it affect on my case if I exit before getting the GC? My family in the USA can collect my GC and SSN and re-entry...

Thanks

From what i understand Green card will be received in aprx 3 weeks.
Some say they have to apply for the SSN it does not come automatically all the time even if you clicked yes on the DS
Now for the reentry permit you need to do biometrics and file while you are in the USA. The quickest time on average is 3 weeks. You need not wait for the permit to arrive but will need to interview and clear biometrics before leaving.

What past posters say is to do all of the above as well as the driving license give yourself a good 4 to 6 weeks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,
GC and Social Security card arrives in a bout 2-3 weeks.
Read here about the re-entry permit

Hi all,
Yes, you can

Hi all,
The visa expires 6 months after date of issue. When you enter USA on that visa, it becomes a temporary GC which is valid for 12 months from date of entry. In your case, the "visa" will not exist when you leave as you will be a GC holder at that stage (and you will have a temporary GC in your passport, ie the stamped visa).

On another topic. Since you will be away for 1.5 years you must be aware of the abandonment of permanent residency rules, as it may be deemed that you have done so, even though you have a re-entry permit.

Last edited by a moderator: