• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Some question after getting my VISA

Ach007

Hello everyone , I want to thank this forum as well as Brit who helped during this long process.
Got my visa today and I have some final questions please :
I asked the CO to change my adress during the interview , he said he will , but he didn’t ( in the immigrant data summury sheet , it still remains the old adress ) do I changed directly in the USCIS website after paying the immigrant fees or in the border I inform the agent ?
What are the questions I’ll be asked by the agent ?
And can I entre from NY while the adress I gave is in Miami ?
For the SSC , I already applied for it when I filed the DS-260 , should I sent them an email to change the adress too ?
The visa expire in 27 Febraury and I need to entre before that date , my question is I have the right to entre few days before that date ? I mean what if my green card takes time to be ready and my visa expire by that time ? how it works ? or should I go earlier to avoid any possible problem !
Thank you.

You can change your address at the point of entry
I would suggest not leaving your entry to the US until "a few days" before your expiry date, particularly in the winter months where weather conditions can be extreme - you dont want to lose your green card due to flight delays!!!
You also won't have your green card to enter, that gets sent after you get here. Your visa is the sticker in your passport, it acts as a temporary green card and is used until your physical card arrives

Just to add, you don't become an LPR - and therefore able to get a Green Card - until you enter the US using the visa in your passport.

1. do I changed directly in the USCIS website after paying the immigrant fees or in the border I inform the agent ?
Change it at Port of Entry, and that is the final moment you can change the address. Remember that

2. What are the questions I’ll be asked by the agent ?
Typical questions - number of family members coming etc

3. And can I entre from NY while the adress I gave is in Miami ?
doesnt matter. You can enter in Hawaii or Alaska if you wish so, you will be considered as a Permanent Resident, and you should be able to move around the countrty.

4. For the SSC , I already applied for it when I filed the DS-260 , should I sent them an email to change the adress too ?
not too sure about this, but a visit to Social Security Administration Office would fix the issue

5. The visa expire in 27 Febraury and I need to entre before that date , my question is I have the right to entre few days before that date ? I mean what if my green card takes time to be ready and my visa expire by that time ? how it works ? or should I go earlier to avoid any possible problem !
Your Visa is only for entering the country, a stamp on your visa would make that visa a temporary Green Card, and will be accepted as a Green Card by any US Gov entities - companies might not be familiar with it (small ones maybe) but you can just be assured that IT SHOULD BE TREATED THE SAME AS THE PHYSICAL GREEN CARD

Thank you.

To clarify some of the above :

The address change at port of entry will (should) be sent to the SSA for the SSN card as well. If you don’t get your ssn card within a couple of weeks of entry, visit a SSA office.

We only got asked one question on entry - whether we needed to change the address. Other than that, just a big smile, and a welcome.

You can enter any time from now until the expiry on the visa (as others have said, best not to leave it too late). You are a lawful permanent resident (LPR) as soon as the visa is stamped for entry. The visa becomes a temporary green card (technically i551, read the small print at the bottom of the visa) when it is stamped for entry, valid for a year. Plenty of time for your plastic green card to arrive. (You don’t need to receive the plastic card before the expiry date on the visa, which seems to be what you were asking. In fact, the visa is single use and expires when you enter + but then it becomes a one year green card instead. Magic!)