Some news on fax inquiries

inWaiting

Registered Users (C)
I spoke to my lawyer yesterday and received some news on fax inquiries. I don't know if most of you are aware of it, but I am putting it here all the same.

1. RFE fax inquiry- Previously fax inquiries could be made 60 days after RFE's were recd. by the INS. This has now changed to 90 days.

2. Because of the delay in approvals, INS has also stipulated this on their agenda- anyone whose finger prints are 90 days within expiring (currently FP's are valid for 15 months), can send a fax inquiry to check on the status of their case. This gives the INS a chance to act on such cases, to avoid themselves overheads of re-issuing FP notices and going through the whole background check chaos.

My lawyer sent a fax inquiry for me based on 2 above since my FP expires in April ( I'm WAC 02-034). I will keep this board posted on any progress that the inquiry makes. Incidentally, 60 days on the receipt of my RFE are up at the end of this month as well, but there's not much I can do about it right now other than wait......

My Lawyer

She's the one who gave me this information. Normally, the AILA posts its meeting minutes the Friday after they meet. They haven't done it this past month, probably due to the holiday season.

Faxed as my FP expires with in 90 days

Hi,
Based on your input I just now faxed a enquiry to INS as my FP is getting expired with in 90 days. I will post once I get any fax response from INS.

So, in case the FP is valid for 15 months, then you should send the fax enquiry in April not now.

~ Caltger

Does that mean that once your RFE has been received at INS for 90 days, you can fax to find out what is going on? If so, I wonder if it will do any good. My RFE has been there since October 16th, which is now 85 days. (TSC).

To the best of my knowledge that is true.

Be warned of sending multiple fax inquiries, for e.g. one for 90 days being up on the RFE and another for FP's expiring in 90 days. You might end up with 2 sets of people looking for your file, making the situation worsel.

"INS has also stipulated this on their agenda- anyone whose finger prints are 90 days within expiring (currently FP's are valid for 15 months), can send a fax inquiry to check on the status of their case. This gives the INS a chance to act on such cases, to avoid themselves overheads of re-issuing FP notices and going through the whole background check chaos. "

-It is true per my company attorney as well.

What are the common actions INS takes if FP is expiring? Approval? Denial? Or RFE? If an RFE is issued when FP is expiring then another FP and background check is inevitable.

My FP was taken last Feb. When will it expire?

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually they'll just send another FP notice. With the # of cases pending, I am pretty sure they will not start approval in bulk just because our FP's are expiring.

Wanna hear more? At this stage expect an RFE (90% chance), about your employment letter blah blah, over that, expect another FP, then expired medical results .. ur in an infinite loop now.

FP expires in 15 months.

OO Brother! Does the medical results also expire?
I havent heard any one posting here saying their medical results were redone because of expiry.

Please tell me it is not - It $260 per head last time and my company did not reimburse that amount.

'course dude .. 18 months .. (as far as I know). You could get AIDS in 18 months (but your fingerprints donot change in 15).

Ur worried about the company not reimbursing you for medical, my renewal ead went out of my pocket.

Why are you guys crying for spending $200 or $300.

I paid all the expenses for the 485 filling for self and family. It is $4000.00. It includes 485 for 3, ap for 3, ead for 2, lawyer fees and medical exam. Now I am worried, again i need to spent another $1000 for the AP and EAD renewal.

ND is jan 23, 2002

You guys are lucky.

FP are valid for 15 months . Now why do they have to send back the notice and call the candidate agin to do the FP. They already have old FP and they can verify again on those. Unless INS is assuming a person FP will change after 15months or he has lost his hands or he has plastic surgery done for new FP.

Very good question

I believe the following is the answer:

Finger prints are taken (Not by INS) by Application support service. They are then transmitted to FBI for checking and discarded after the verification by FBI if all is well. So when the FP expire after 15 months, they need to take the prints again to do the background checking.

Other explanations are welcome.

NV2001,

You are probably right, the FP renewal is to make sure you haven't been a bad boy in 15 months and don't have any linkage to any turban(ed), bearded men! (Read Mr. O).

I don't care so much about the money if it were a good cause. Spending money on INS related work is like pissing away your money since you get no benefit out of it.

Offcourse compared to how the CA government under Gray Davis is pissing away money, us spending money on INS is like a man pissing next to Niagara falls but that is another story.

Apparently sales tax is going to go up 1 % and our income tax by a higher amount! Bloody joke, Bush is trying to put more money in his rich pals pockets and Davis is trying to steal from us paupers! :D

Originally posted by 140_takes_4ever
Apparently sales tax is going to go up 1 % and our income tax by a higher amount! Bloody joke, Bush is trying to put more money in his rich pals pockets and Davis is trying to steal from us paupers! :D

Hard to believe that they belong to two different parties isn't it?

Does anyone where I can send this fax inquiry for fp 15 months expiring thing? My fp was cleared on Mar 14, 2002 and it's been over one year now. When I ask my attonery sending this fax, he wants to charge me, what a a$$ hole!

So, if anyone know where I can send this fax, I would like to do it myself.

Thanks in advance

Hog

Re: Very good question

Originally posted by NV2001
I believe the following is the answer:

Finger prints are taken (Not by INS) by Application support service. They are then transmitted to FBI for checking and discarded after the verification by FBI if all is well. So when the FP expire after 15 months, they need to take the prints again to do the background checking.

Other explanations are welcome.

I don't think FBI discards the FPs from its database. they would not have been able to catch the DC sniper had it not been for this database.
So I don't know why the FP's expire.

As far as medicals are concerned, they are valid for 1 year per Murthy site.

Chat User : Hi Ms. Sheela, can you tell me, after medical, within how many days the I-485 should be filed with INS? Thanks!

Attorney Murthy : The medicals are usually valid for one year, I believe. So, no problem 'til then. Even if the medicals expire after filing, the person does not have to obtain new medicals unless the INS has reason to suspect health related problems.