Some more progress in fight against retrogression

Shakti,

Do you know if Mr. Paul has any experience in lobbying?
Like I said earlier, lobbying and sending letters to congressmen/senators is an excellent idea. Ofcourse lobbying is one big task and needs someone with credentials to do it. I am sure you have done your research on Mr. Paul, but just a thought here.

Well, I personally dont know him...but I have talked to him for some time....he looks knowledgeable....also search for PAUL DONNELLY MINDSPRING in google and read the various articles which he has posted.....

I repeat, i have never met him...i just corresponded with him through mail initially and then we had a talk over phone....i have posted the contents of his mail previously.

Let me know if you need to know more....Here is a part of his last email to me when I said that people want AILA to represent us .

Right... I pretty much expected this. It's a predictable pattern -- immigrants (who have immigration lawyers, naturally) ask THEM what to do. The immigration lawyers, who generally give good advice on individual cases, also generally follow AILA's lead on national policy.

But AILA doesn't actually represent the interests of IMMIGRANTS, ya know. It represents the interests of their lawyers -- which ain't the same. Wouldn't you rather see a simpler system that delivered on its promises?

Show me an immigration lawyer who does. Show me where AILA has supported any reform that delivers faster green cards to immigrants, with less regulation, less legal work, and the clarity necessary to uphold your rights instead of diminishing 'em.

Moreover, even within AILA, you have a deep, latent split between the roughly one third of their membership which does mostly employment-based visas, with big corporate clients who provide the bulk of the immigration bar's revenue, and the other two-thirds, which are small practitioners who do family petitions, asylum claims and miscellaneous adjustments. There isn't much money in that kind of work, and the majority of folks who are AILA members who do this sorta thing have never made their #s tell.

And consider this, too: I played a small role in enacting the last increase in legal immigration, the FORTY PERCENT in annual green cards, the 1990 Act. Who are you talking to -- who are your friends talking to -- with a better record then that? I would stack my own record of advocacy and analysis against anybody's -- while since 1981, AILA's lobbying has managed to 1) delay the increases proposed by the Hesburgh Commission from 1982, until 1990; 2) failed to prevent employer sanctions (which they didn't want), and made the 1986 amnesty less generous (they wanted more); 3) nearly cost us the 1990 Act itself through lobbying so boneheaded their representative was expelled from the pre-conference negotiations; 4) responded to the welfare ban proposed in the 1994 Contract with America by attacking those who most successfully opposed it, like Barbara Jordan; 5) responded to the debate over comprehensive immigration reform in 1995-6 by derailing enormous increases in nuclear family immigration and the COMPLETE deregulation of employment-based immigration, leaving the Congress in a ferociously punitive mood; 6) tried to spin all this as a "victory", and promoted one of the architects of tis strategy, Stuart Anderson, to INS policy director under Bush, where 7) Finally, they managed to get a series of H-1B increases and other measures that led directly to the retrogression -- and, oh yeah, 9-11. (Search "Borderline Insanity" at the Washington Monthly website. For that matter, look for the "Bury the Ratchet" piece I did for ILW.com a couple years back. I forget if that was the piece in which I preduced taht the Bush administration would not actually propose an immigration plan -- when AILA was loudly applauding as if they already HAD. If you really want, I will send you a link to the report I did that predicted the retrogression, too -- are your friends telling you what a great job AILA did anticipating and preparing to fix it?)

So perhaps I can be forgiven if I am unimpressed with political amatuers who think AILA knows what the hell they're doing. If these guys were tax lobbyists held to bottom line accountability, they'd all be unemployed. Measured by the interests of the people they CLAIM to represent -- namely, people like you -- they are without a doubt the most counterproductive lobby in Washington. and as you see from the short list above, they have been that bad for a quarter century.

But measured by the interests of their real constituency -- not immigrants, but their LAWYERS -- they are superbly effective at screwing you, and charging you for the privilege.

I know how you can do better. Let me know if anybody is actually willing to talk about it, or if they're content to be duped AND fail like every other set of AILA's clients and "constituents" for the best couple of decades.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shakti,

My personnel opinion - Don't spend money.
I would prefer talking to you. I think you can make use of my epxerience in making the decision.
Let me know if you want to talk..

ConcurrentFiler,

Had to reply to your post. It would have been wise to educate yourself before making such statements. Yes the money was collected by Mr. Khanna's office, that was well known, what is less known that it was returned to the contributors once it was decided that funds were not being used. I was one of the contributors and got my money back.

Follow the link to read what happened:
http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?p=1169489#post1169489

btw already rajiv khanna office raised money for lobbying more than a year ago. now nobody talks about it. no accountability, who is paid what, how they paid and what they paid for?

I agree, but the point i was going to make is, rajiv khanna's office has initiated this and nobody is talking about it now, coz they know what lobbying means and how effective these lobbying efforts are. Needless to say the intentions of lobbyists and the catch 22s, hidden things and so on...

The reason they were able to give out money back to contributors is that the money was not given to lobbyists blindly before hand. By the way, very few ppl give out money back to contributors.

Remember lobbyists are out there for business, and we are another customer to them. I personallly do not trust Mr. Paul, however powerful and knowledgeable he is. He might promise - i will do this and i will do that - just to get a new customer.

All i want to say is shakti's idea is not at all "new" and we dont want to reinvent the wheel here. Just relax and think why Rajiv's office started this campaign that lasted more than a year and had to give back money to contributors. Remember Rajiv's office is well-known and competitive and has been in business for long time.

Ask a question, why in the world they had to give back money after spending resources, money and time for this movement. Answer is obvious and can be seen by all those intelligent, wise and smart people who is readind this.

Last edited by a moderator:
ConcurrentFiler said:
btw already rajiv khanna office raised money for lobbying more than a year ago. now nobody talks about it. no accountability, who is paid what, how they paid and what they paid for?

YOU ARE TOTALLY WRONG HERE. It's not Rajiv's office that has raised the money, it is a group of I485 applicants from this web site, who have formed an organization to raise the money. We used Rajiv's address as our office address. Once we have failed to get enough money to do any lobbying, WE HAVE RETURNED MONEY TO ALL THE DONORS. It was a very difficult task to identify all the donors and communicate with them to get tjeir latest address and return their money. But we have done it. I have taken personal responsibility for that. You will never see any comments against me or our organization in this web site. For me honsesty comes before every thing else.

For Shakti and others
---------------------
Sorry that i can't help you guys much because of my current time constraints, but i will still be available to guide you guys. I think that i have got very big experience (lessons) in this effort to organize people and raise money for immigration matters. you can contact me over phone. send a pm to me. I won't be visiting this forum daily. I might be visiting once a week or so. Infact this is my first post in about 2 months.

dsatish,
nobody here including me has commented against that campaign or you or anybody involved. my point again and again is, shakti's idea is not new and there is so much into this than one may think

None of the ideas in this world are new......what matters are the efforts.....if some efforts click, the idea becomes a success.....anyway, I appreciate your input....

Shakti

Shakti what matter is effort and which option you pick to optimise your success? You are right.
And that could be done by C&E matrix which I posted to your reply in a seperate thread. Give some time to understand what I am doing in that excel. I have assigned the number keeping in mind the cause, that is retrogression. Also number don't come arbitrarily but from voice of customer that is How can we reduce retrogression.
You would agree that only senator can help us reduce retrogression by passing bill to use unused visa number or by increasing the visa numbers. And any action which will draw attention of Senator is a very good viable option.

C&E matrix is a six sigma tool. We in design use day in day out to select the best option to pursue. And C&E can be appllied in different area.