Some J1 Questions - 12 month Work/Travel Visa

thoroughly

Hi there,

I'm due to enter the US from Australia on the J1 12month Work/Travel program available to Australians/New Zealanders. The information available about this visa is limited as it is relatively new - essentially it is an extension of the summer work travel program that has been around for awhile. I am a recent university graduate who would like to gain work experience in the US, specifically in New York.

Here are my questions:

1) My sponsor has told me that my visa will actually only be technically valid for 4 months, but that provided I don't breach any rules on the J1 Visa I can extend my visa for 8 months further while in the US. Does this sound correct? I haven't read this anywhere else.

2) Exactly how difficult is it to change employers while on the J1? My sponsor will be the YMCA international. I don't think I want them to organise employment for me as I want to gain experience in a specific field and they tend to organise jobs in ski resorts and theme parks. What happens if I don't find a job after 10 days? Do I just have to notify them? What if I want to work several jobs while in the US? And are there any limitations on the type of work I can do?

3) How do I find out if this particular J1 (Student Work-Travel) is subject to the 2-year HRR? I am thinking that I will try and get sponsored on the E3 after my year if I decide to stay. If this is the case, and it looks likely that I can get a sponsor, and the HRR applies to me, should I start applying for a waiver 6 months into my trip?

4) Has anybody had any experience specifically on a Student Work J1 visa (as opposed to just studying / researching?) I am technically no longer a student (but still applicable from one as I only graduated university recently). So I don't want to study, only work.

I'd be really grateful if anyone has any thoughts or advice! This forum is such a wonderful service - thank you!

Hey! I have the same visa and will be departing in late June.

1) I've never heard of that. Have you been issued your DS-2019 already? That should have your visa validity dates on it. I have been issued my DS-2019 and it shows validity for a full year. I am using a different sponsor though. I would definitely query that.

2) I held a J-1 visa before (just the 4 month work experience one though) and didn't find employment within the 10 day period. While job searching I kept in constant contact with my sponsor until I got a job and nothing adverse happened. To the best of my knowledge, you can work more than one job at a time. As for job restrictions, here's what my sponsor's website says: Participants may accept a professional level position; however they may not be employed as domestic employees in U.S. households (E.g. child care, chauffeurs, gardeners, etc.); in positions requiring them to invest their own money for inventory (such as door-to-door sales); or in any employment involving any type of patient care (dentists, doctors, vets, nurses, physical therapists, etc.). Most participants typically work in non-skilled service positions at resorts, hotels, restaurants, and amusement parks. Summer internships in US businesses and other organizations (i.e., architecture, science research, graphic art/publishing and other media communication, advertising, computer software and electronics, and legal offices, etc.) are allowed.

3) The 12 month work/travel visa for Aus/NZ is not subject to the 2 year HRR. The HRR only applies when the program is financed by the home country or US government; when the Exchange Visitor has acquired a skill which is in short supply in his or her own country, and that skill appears on the Exchange Visitor Skills List of the U.S. Department of State (published in the Federal Register; or when the Exchange Visitor is a graduate of an international medical school participating in an internship, residency, or clinical training program in the U.S. sponsored by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG).

4) I have done the 4 month student work J-1 twice and it's the best thing I've ever done. Same employer each time (I chose to go for a professional job rather than ski/theme park work) and the experience was amazing. My employer is taking me back in June. Like you, I was considering going to an E-3 too, before I got notice this afternoon that I was selected for the diversity lottery green card :) Good luck and I hope you have a wonderful time.

1) My sponsor has told me that my visa will actually only be technically valid for 4 months, but that provided I don't breach any rules on the J1 Visa I can extend my visa for 8 months further while in the US. Does this sound correct? I haven't read this anywhere else.
The visa has nothing to do with the DS. You have to enter the US during the validity of the visa and the clock will start ticking toward the end of the training supposed to be
2) Exactly how difficult is it to change employers while on the J1? My sponsor will be the YMCA international. I don't think I want them to organise employment for me as I want to gain experience in a specific field and they tend to organise jobs in ski resorts and theme parks. What happens if I don't find a job after 10 days? Do I just have to notify them? What if I want to work several jobs while in the US? And are there any limitations on the type of work I can do?
It is quite easy to change employers till the end of the duration of the J category. If it is for maximum 5 years then you can work for 5 years and so on. In another words, changing the jobs will not readjust the clock to 0 again but will continue counting from the day of arrival whatever the number of jobs is.
3) How do I find out if this particular J1 (Student Work-Travel) is subject to the 2-year HRR? I am thinking that I will try and get sponsored on the E3 after my year if I decide to stay. If this is the case, and it looks likely that I can get a sponsor, and the HRR applies to me, should I start applying for a waiver 6 months into my trip?
You can apply for waiver after you join the program, 6 months looks a good plan
4) Has anybody had any experience specifically on a Student Work J1 visa (as opposed to just studying / researching?) I am technically no longer a student (but still applicable from one as I only graduated university recently). So I don't want to study, only work.
Work or study, it is still J and all rules and regulations apply

----------

madforplaid - THANK YOU! I'm so grateful that you replied to my post. That's so cool that you won the green card lottery! How did they let you know?

I haven't gotten my DS-2019 yet, I'm actually thinking of changing sponsors to the American Australian Assocation - I just have this feeling my sponsor isn't giving me the best information. Hmmm.

Well, that's good to know about all those things. Especially that you worked in a professional capacity rather than in a theme park or something. Where will you be based come June?

Thanks a million for your help...