Soldiering toward citizenship...

I just enlisted in the Navy and I'm a conditional permanent resident. I wasn't planning on applying for citizenship right away (because I thought it would be better if I waited until I got the full LPR), but it seems like it's going to be difficult to get those conditions removed while I'm on active duty (me not living with my wife and such). So, is there any chance for me to apply for citizenship under section 329 of the INA or am I not qualified to do so because of my conditional status? If I can't, then what can I do to obtain my LPR without me living separated from my wife (unless I get stationed in San Diego) be an issue? Thanks in advance

I just enlisted in the Navy and I'm a conditional permanent resident. I wasn't planning on applying for citizenship right away (because I thought it would be better if I waited until I got the full LPR), but it seems like it's going to be difficult to get those conditions removed while I'm on active duty (me not living with my wife and such). So, is there any chance for me to apply for citizenship under section 329 of the INA or am I not qualified to do so because of my conditional status? If I can't, then what can I do to obtain my LPR without me living separated from my wife (unless I get stationed in San Diego) be an issue? Thanks in advance

First things first, YOU CAN APPLY FOR CITIZENSHIP after spending ONE DAY in the active duty, so if you are already through training, go ahead get started. If you are waiting to be shipped to Great Lakes, then wait until you are settled down in the service. Don't worry about the I-751, but file it anyway. Interestingly I filed them both at the same time. I filed the N-400 from Korea in active duty and my wife submitted the I-751 from stateside. Once they know you have a N-400, they don't work on the I-751 and it is eventually dropped after you get your citizenship. But, again BUT, if you decide not to file the I-751 trsuting that you have N-400, they can cause you problems.

DON'T WAIT to get your full LPR status, because I-751s are way back logged. Since we filed ours, we didn't even hear from it.

Thanks for your answer, it makes a lot of sense. But shouldn't I wait till it's time to fill out I-751 (90 days before second anniversary)? I became CR on december so technically I shouldn't file it until september 2008. I'm shipping to Great Lakes on June this year.

Don't worry about the I-751, finish basic and "A" school, after that file your N-400. If your I-751 deadline comes up in training, then do that first.

You can of course file your N-400 during Basic, after the first day, but I doubt it, you can do it. Training is intensive.

You can file it during "A" school if you have time, I was day shift during tech school, so I didn't have any time and my tech school was 7 months.

I filed my N-400 first thing I arrived my first duty station in Korea.

Follow the same routine. Whichever comes first. Your N400 is not tied up to I-751. If anyone tells you that, they are full of it and they don't know INA329.